Friday, February 20, 2015

Seasonal changes

This past Wednesday was, Ash wednesday. I was paying particular attention to the customers and didn't see a single one marked with the sign of the cross. I wonder if this practice is dying out ? In my own experience I always thought it was just a Catholic thing. I had one customer, a man I frequently speak with, inform me that Methodists have the same tradition. I didn't know that. Could be that I just wasn't paying attention when I was growing up. I admit I seldom asked what church or religion someone belonged to, figured that was there business. I knew the ones in my church and the church of my closest friends. Religion, to me, is a personal thing.
I do recall seeing those smudges of ash on others foreheads. I didn't recognize them as crosses until that was pointed out.Well, those Catholics were a little different what with all their saints and all. No offense intended to anyone, to each their own. It does mark the beginning of Lent and when I was a kid that meant giving something up. Mom would tell us that, that we had to give something up, a sacrifice, just like Jesus sacrificed his life for our own. We usually started out with the best of intentions but almost always fell short. Forty days is a long time after all. Now I tell the grandkids.
I hear in the news that church attendance is down,especially the Catholic church. They have had their share of scandals and problems in recent years. Another part of that, I think, is people just not wanting to take the time out to go to church. In this time of everything is open all the time the distractions are too numerous. Back in the old days, say 1960 or so, stores and such weren't open on Sundays. No, Sundays were for church and socializing. I think we have lost that to our own determent. Was everyone one hundred per cent sincere in their religious convictions back then ? No, they weren't, but at least a pretense was established. There was some expectation of participation. And what do we have now ? It is a sad state of affairs, in my opinion.
Another small tradition associated with the Lenten season that has gone by the wayside are the Easter outfits. I tried a few years back to get the grandkids into it. I bought Morgan the dress,shoes,gloves and bonnet. Mark got new suit pants and a vest ! They didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I did. That tradition has not been repeated since. I can understand their feelings. I wasn't crazy about the whole deal when I was a kid. Looking back at it though it was kinda fun. I'm thinking the girls must have enjoyed it more than the guys, but perhaps that is a sexist remark. Either way, it was a show of color for spring and new life ! The symbolism wasn't lost on me, at least it wasn't after Grandma explained it.
The church and the church seasons were an important part of growing up for me. I wonder about the children of today that are not exposed to these traditions. I feel as though they are vital components in gaining maturity and understanding. There were expectations and obligations to be met. We may not have liked them all but we participated. We were a part of something bigger. Bigger than ourselves and bigger than our families. We were part of a community. I'm afraid much of that is being lost. It can make you nervous for the future of our country. 

No comments:

Post a Comment