Sunday, October 26, 2014

Why I pray

When you feel that others owe you something, that is because you have stopped giving. Did not Jesus himself say, it is more blessed to give than to receive ? And just what does that mean ? Does it mean I should give my money to the church ? Does it mean I should give everything I have to others ? I don't think that is what the intent in that statement was. I believe Jesus is talking about giving of ourselves to the betterment of our fellow man. We should use our talents and abilities in that fashion. To help those in need is our mission. The primary thing the Bible teaches us is to do unto others as though we were the others , to paraphrase a scripture.
I think too many people misunderstand this concept. Do not confuse business with ministry, unless of course, ministry is your business. If we follow the teaching in the Bible we should all be ministers of Christ. We can all fulfill that ministry by the lives we live. Expectations and demands for compensation are not a part of that. Remember when Jesus said, Lay not up for yourself treasures upon earth where moth and rust doth corrupt and thieves break in and steal ? He wasn't saying don't make money but rather to use that money for good. When we start demanding more, for ourselves, we begin to taint the intent. What should our intent be ? To live our lives as God intended. That takes some effort now doesn't it ? To set aside our own wants and needs in deference to the needs of others is not the easiest of things. But what did Jesus do ? I'd say just that. In fact he gave his life in that very endeavor.
That is the reason I say, when you feel others owe you something, that is because you have stopped giving. Did Jesus ever stop giving ? No, of course he didn't, but in all fairness he is the son of God. We are not. That doesn't mean we shouldn't aspire to that goal. We can do that by giving. Giving our best in everything we do. In that way we can minister. Actions do speak louder than words. It even says so in the Bible. ! John 3 verse 18 says " my little children,let us not love in word,neither in tongue,but in deed and the truth. Seems pretty plain to me. Don't make big speeches and confuse the issue, do it. And be sure you are being truthful in everything you do.
The act of giving is an expression of love. It expects nothing in return. It can not be measured. Love thy neighbor as thyself. Jesus tells us that is the second most important commandment. I take that as meaning, giving to others as you would give to yourself, equally and unconditionally. To deny others is to deny yourself. Do not love only in words but by your deeds. In that way you will not feel cheated. Easier said than done ! That's why I pray.


No comments:

Post a Comment