Thursday, October 30, 2014

" Quotes "

Sometimes I wonder. If I had wealth and fame would things be different ? Sure, my everyday lifestyle would certainly be different but that is just a money thing. If I had a bunch of letters after my name would things be different ? Sure they would, those letters add a certain degree of credibility to your words. Something how that works isn't it ? And it works almost every time. Money, lots of money, works every time ! Everybody knows rich people are smart or at least others are smart enough to let the rich folks believe that they are.
When people agree with us we know they are smart. They have to be, they agree with us ! We don't care if they have money or letters at that point. The time it really matters is with those individuals that want to change our minds. Then we require something more. Wealth or degrees are big influences. Of course, depending upon the subject matter, even those qualities may not be enough. It is in the areas where we feel less than informed that we look for those things. Mostly in the areas we don't have an interest in. Areas that the rich and "highly educated" talk about. Then in order to appear smart, we will quote them. That is always a go to, the quote. By quoting the scholars of the past I am showing how smart I am. I must be smart to have read that quote. That has become a lot easier to pull off with Google search. There are plentiful websites that list quotes on virtually any subject. I know, I use them. Here is a quote about quotes. " I always have a quotation for everything- it saves original thinking. " Dorothy L Sayers.
But the thing I was talking about was things being different. Were I to win the mega millions tomorrow a lot more people would start listening to what I have to say. At least they would lead me to believe that. I'm certain, as least locally, I would begin receiving all kinds of invitations. I'm equally certain that people, as least to my face, would be a whole lot more cordial. My opinion would be sought after. Now, if I had a string of letters after my name that would change perceptions also. As long as those letters were legit, or believed to be so. You do need a certain amount of money to go with those letters however. A poor PHd doesn't impress nearly as much as a wealthy one.
I do think in more recent times we do not necessarily feel our celebrities are all that brilliant. I blame that on the fact we report about their failures. They have become more human, same with our elected officials. Forty years or so ago that was different. Those individuals were held in higher esteem. Politicians, usually Doctors or Lawyers, were thought to be smart people. After all look at the education they have. Must be smart folks. Now we do not have that same train of thought. Is that because more of us now have those letters following our name ? Or is it because more of us are " educated ? " I guess that all depends on how you define educated. Completing a curriculum does not always equate to receiving an education.
The smartest people make you think. That is my perception. When I meet people that make me think, in conversation, I feel like they are educated. I don't ask about degrees or money. Some would call that street smarts or common sense. I can understand and appreciate both of those qualities. I can also understand the value of advanced education. The thing is you have to take advantage of the opportunities as presented to you. Just repeating what you have been taught is not an education. There are books for that purpose, just look it up. Understanding and putting things into context is the goal. The smartest people I know don't know all the answers, they are familiar with the questions !
What is my point in all of this ? I was just wondering. If I were rich or had a string of letters after my name would I be quoted ? Probably. Would I deserve it ? That is a question that can only be answered by those listening. It does give us something to think about. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I can see that. Quoting a person is also a sincere form of flattery. Repeating their words is repeating their thoughts. To repeat the thoughts of others, in a positive way, is indeed flattering. Trick is, be careful what you say, it might be repeated.

No comments:

Post a Comment