Monday, October 27, 2014

Stay Excited

Halloween is three days away. Wow, this month sure went fast. I wonder if it is just because I am not looking forward to halloween this year. In years past the grandchildren were excited about it and that excitement was contagious. That ended sometime this summer I think. I don't know when they grew up and decided that halloween wasn't that cool anymore. Mark is past the age were trick or treating is allowed and Morgan has another commitment. She is performing with her dance company.
The wife and I have not handed out candy in years as we were always walking with the grandkids. Looked at the price of candy and won't be handing it out this year either ! Holy Moly ! We looked at the stuff we remembered handing out in years past. Forget about it, it would cost a small fortune. Prices have definitely increased over time. It seems to me we used to prepare about a hundred bags to hand out, you know, the little bags with several pieces of candy inside. I hadn't really paid attention  but now I know why almost everyone just puts some candy in a bowl and hands out a piece at a time. Unless your name is Rockerfeller you had best do that. The only other option is to hand out ten bags  and close the door. Well, it is a new world out there. Things sure are different.
Thinking about it it has been about ten years since we handed out candy. A decade ! That explains the sticker shock. Ten years gone by. As I have often repeated, Mom always said this, time speeds up when you get older. That is certainly the perception I get. I do think it has to do with not looking forward to time passing. I mean, like waiting on halloween. Seems like it took forever to arrive when I was a kid. And Christmas, Christmas took a year ! Now it will be Christmas about next week. Time going a lot faster. I don't get it, what's the rush ? I'm in no hurry. I guess it is just one of those ironic things in life. When you are in a hurry, it takes forever. Try to just run in the store for a quick purchase, the line will be long or the cashier slower than molasses. Jump on a Disney ride, average length of time ? About one minute and forty five seconds ! How come it takes every bit of twenty one years to be twenty one but you get to sixty almost overnight ! Takes a while longer to collect social security but after that ? I'm a little nervous to find out ! Time, it is all relevant to what you are waiting for. Maybe the secret is to just stay excited for the next occasion or holiday. When you have something to really look forward too. Seems reasonable. It is time for turkey yet ? 

No comments:

Post a Comment