Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Still Cool

On Aug 19,2010 I sat down and composed my very first blog. It was called, " How cool is that ? " A few days before that I had read a blog written by someone I had gone to school with. I didn't really know this person but knew the name. I knew some of her family members in a general sort of way. Coming from a small town that is a natural thing. I was struck by the fact that I was sitting in my living room,on a computer,reading words written by someone from my hometown. And this person wasn't a celebrity ! Just a normal everyday person. And that is when I thought, how cool is that ? I was inspired to try it myself. Since that day I have posted one thousand four hundred and ninety nine times, not including this one. And so today I say again, " how cool is that ? "
Now I have a few " followers " and I appreciate that. I also follow a few. I look forward to reading their postings every day. It is like I'm staying in touch. Almost as though I receive a letter from them. Some are good letters,filled with happy news, and sometimes they are sad. It has become a part of my routine. I am somewhat a creature of habit,as we all are, and to miss reading or writing a blog posting causes a little discomfort. A feeling that something just isn't right. As long as it doesn't become compulsive or obsessive I guess it is alright. We humans are frail creatures after all.
I use this Google platform to publish my blogs. A free service and one that works extremely well. Oh, there is an occasional glitch or two but that is to be expected. I also use Google plus. Not exactly sure what that entails but seemed liked a good idea. One amazing thing to me about that is this. If you type a key phrase that I have used in one of my blog titles in the Google search bar, my blog will appear. At least a portion of it will, on the screen along with the other listings of possible matches for your inquiry. Now that, I think is very cool. Type in something and Ben Reichart shows up on the web ! I discovered that quite by accident. I was searching for something, I don't really recall what it was, and the results listed me. OMG, for a second there it felt strange. What the heck ? And then I realized what had happened. It is what teachers and parents are always telling the kids nowadays. Do not put anything on the internet that you wouldn't want others to see ! I wasn't looking for me but I found me ! Good thing I didn't have bad intentions towards myself ! I could've been cyber bullied ! It was a close call.
I posted a remembrance of a delivery service one time. It was about the Dugan Brothers bakery. They used to deliver door to door back in the day. It was just a simple little story. I believe it has been the most widely viewed posting I have. I still get notifications about someone reading it. I figure it must be because of that Google plus feature. Anyone inquiring about Dugan Brothers would see it. That is cool ! I wonder how many others have stumbled upon my writings and ramblings. I wonder too, if I have been of any benefit to another. Have the words I have written had an effect upon any one ? I like to think that they have. I wrote about the reason I write. My wife says I have written about everything and I guess maybe I have. I did write a blog called Words of Substance. In that posting I summarized my reasoning for writing. I want to leave a record of my thoughts and feelings on a variety of topics. It is my hope that future generations of Reicharts may find some words of substance in my postings. As I said back then, Pay it forward. That is what the current phrase is anyway. I'm still trying.
The time has passed quickly and many words have been written. I do not have them all in print. I did have a small collection of them printed in a blog book. I would like to have them all in a " hard copy " but the cost would be great. I wonder if I could discover any contradictions in my blogs ? I don't think I would find many. I do make an effort to be as honest as possible in my thoughts. It can be a challenge. I don't always like what I think ! I will say this, it is good therapy.
I would encourage everyone to write a blog of their own. Everybody has something to say. It is pretty cool to see your name on the web ! At least I think it is. Some write every day and other once a week or so. It doesn't matter. Back in the day we called them diaries or journals. It is the same principle. I just do not discuss personal issues on blogger but everyday stuff can still be of interest. It is still cool !

No comments:

Post a Comment