Sunday, October 26, 2014

Learning Technology

I am always taking pictures. There will certainly be no shortage of photographic memories in my house. I have albums full of them and the walls and shelves are crowded with them. I also have a video camera. I have quite a few videos as well but not nearly the amount as still pictures. You would think I would be quite familiar with my camera and their functions. You would be wrong. As I was using my video recorder yesterday I began to push a few buttons I don't normally use. That " menu " button opens up a myriad of options. I didn't have a clue as to how to utilize any of them. My still camera is the same way.
I remember getting that video camera as a gift. It came with a thick manual that explains all it's functions. I haven't read it ! My fault. Once I figured out the basic function that booklet got set aside. I wonder where it is now ? I know it is around here somewhere. Well, no matter I haven't the patience or inclination to study it. I wonder how many others are like that ? I mean, do other people actually read and study these manuals ? And it is not just the manuals for camera but other electronic products as well. It is obvious that these devices are far more capable than I. I am not using a tenth of their capabilities. I did try the panoramic feature on my Nikon. I even bought a tripod to mount it on. I took several shots and " stitched " them together. I never had them printed, too expensive. I quickly lost interest in that. My videos are just recordings of events as they happen. Not much artistic appeal in them. I have made a few slide shows and enjoyed that. I do find it a bit tedious adding the music or commentary. I really haven't the patience for it. Perhaps, I tell myself, if I had better more professional equipment. The truth is the equipment I have is quite capable, I am not.
Another issue I have is in locating all the digital images stored on my computer. They are in files, by date and by name. The problem is there are so many. I haven't really figured a good way to index them. I have ideas then get frustrated trying to locate the appropriate pictures. Frustration leads to anger and resignation. I just forget about it. Again, it is a matter of patience I suppose. If I devoted enough time and effort I am sure I could accomplish these ideas but it doesn't seem worth it in the end. A two minute slideshow takes several hours to assemble ! I don't feel like I have spent that time wisely, in most cases. I think I will leave it to the professional.
Maybe it is a generational thing. It just seems like the most basic of technology is a bit complicated for me. I mean, buy a camera, not an expensive top of the line model, but a lower priced entry level one. It will be packed with features and functions that most of us will never use or, I submit, understand. How many of us have had a vcr and never figured out how to program that ? Now we don't even need that, technology has left that antique in the dust. Had I spent hours learning those secrets what good would it do me now ? See my point there ? All this technology is a wonderful thing, I wouldn't argue otherwise, but perhaps a bit more than is necessary for the average person. I guess too much is better than not enough. I may locate that manual and learn a new skill. Some of those menu options sounded interesting. Highlight Movie is one, maybe I'll explore that. I've had that camera for about a year now, maybe it is time.

No comments:

Post a Comment