Friday, October 24, 2014

Expect nothing

The best times I have ever had where not planned. Planning things create expectations. Rarely are expectations met.Spontaneous appears to hold the advantage. The only problem with that is you don't know when it will happen ! A bit of a paradox, isn't it ? We all want enjoyable times and experiences but we also want to be prepared for them as well.
This is never more evident than during the holiday season. Thanksgiving dinner and Christmas morning being the major events. We plan for them both. Expectations are raised. Now I have had many a holiday worth noting. I don't want to give an impression otherwise. What I am saying is it is the unexpected that I enjoy the most. 
I think this need to be prepared is becoming more necessary than it used to be. In these more modern times we require more conveniences and creature comforts than in the past. As an example look at the stuff we drag along to watch a sporting event. At a minimum we have folding chairs, with armrests and cup holders. Chairs with tables attached and even " roofs " are not uncommon. Drinks and snacks will be on hand. Depending upon the season much more may be brought along. We will not be without our electronics either. Wonder if it is going to rain, check the radar on your I-phone. 
It does seem to me that even when an event happens spontaneously, it isn't long before it is put on hold while we gather our stuff. We will quickly import the extras !
I know that there are people that enjoy planning things. They somehow get satisfaction out of that. It is something I don't really understand. I can be ready for anything given a few hours,at most. Prolonged planning just puts a damper on things for me. I don't want to talk about it, I want to do it. I get that you have to have the necessities, it is all the extras that hinder me. My idea is to keep it simple. Simple is best in my opinion, less to go wrong. Too many choices leads to indecision. Indecision leads to doubt. Doubt leads to frustration. And things will only disintegrate from there. 
I subscribe to a simple theory. Expect nothing and you will not be disappointed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment