Monday, October 6, 2014

What bothers me

Michael Phelps, the olympic swimmer, lives in Baltimore. Naturally around this area he is well known. The Baltimore Bullet is his moniker. He has won the most gold medals of any olympian ever ! His actions are also noted in the news. Ten years ago he was in trouble for a DWI. Then there was the picture of him hitting a bong in England. In both cases he showed the proper contrition and said all the right things. That was when he was nineteen. The exuberance of youth and success got the better of him. Now he is 29 and was recently arrested for a DUI. It is all over the news in this area. I'm sure it is not national news,more like a footnote in other cities.
This morning the news is reporting that Michael Phelps is going to rehab. What a surprise. Is this a sincere act of contrition ? Michael had retired from competitive swimming. But recently he has indicated a return to the pool. He has competed in some matches and may compete once again in the olympics.
I can not but wonder about the sincerity of his actions. Is this a realization of a problem, or a solution to a problem ? It appears to me to be an act that is directed. As is often the case in these high profile personalities I believe they are advised. These ventures in rehabilitation are more for the media and the courts than for the individual. By " successfully " completing the course of instruction, the court and public opinion can be altered. I know,I know takes these public acts before the person realizes they have a problem. I guess every celebrity or person of prominence must be dumb as a post ! How come none ever know before hand ? It all just seems a bit fishy to me.
I say, stand up and take it like a man ! Own up to your actions and quit making excuses. It is your fault ! You are responsible for your actions. Whatever you have accomplished in the past, and that is considerable, has no bearing on this situation. It was your choice to behave the way you did. Maybe I am wrong, and in a way I hope that I am, but this just looks like an attempt to duck out of sight. Then I can reemerge as an advocate ! I will create a stand against drunk driving and openly admit my flaws. That will make me a hero. After all is said and done he will come of as a victim. A victim of alcohol ! He is not to be held accountable for drinking it, the alcohol caused the problem ! Maybe he will wear a ribbon to support recovering alcoholics !
I have no ill feelings toward Michael Phelps. I wish him the best. It is just this circus of " jumping through the hoops " that annoys me. It is what is expected and in fact demanded. Why this presentation is necessary eludes me. Personally I would have greater respect for him and others in the same situation, if they just owned up to it. Michael Phelps has had no public problems with alcohol in ten years. That makes me wonder about how serious an issue it really is. One screw up does not an alcoholic make. Two in ten years is questionable. But does he really have any choice ? That is what bothers me.

No comments:

Post a Comment