Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Consequence

We may not all receive that fifteen minutes of fame that Andy Warhool mentioned. I do think that all of us want to live a life of consequence. A life that makes a difference. I would think it all depends upon your definition of fame. Fame in and of itself can be as much a burden as a blessing, just as wealth may be. I admit I would like a chance at either, or both, to properly judge it's impact. If I can only choose one, I'll take the money.
Recent events have brought me a bit of notoriety. That fifteen minutes is up. What the event was is not of importance. The perceptions others have of that event amuses me. Like a childhood game of " post office " the story has evolved. I do believe it safe to say it was an event of some consequence. The consequences do not affect me as much as others. It was just a blip on my daily activities. It is an event that will be remembered. A story to tell.
We all affect those around us. It is the amount of that influence that is measured. It only becomes cumlative however, after our passing. Isn't that a shame ? How many of those we interact with on a daily basis do we take guidance and advice from ? More than we care to recognize or realize I believe. Positive and negative influences surround us every day. The subtle nuances of life.
So why do some gain fame, if only for that fifteen minutes, and others never do ? It is random,I believe that. A random chance. Yes, there are those that seek this fame and succeed. They succeed by their own efforts,as a consequence of their efforts. But we all know fame is a fleeting thing. It can be gone as quickly as it is gained. A single misstep can unravel all that was accomplished.
I believe what we should really strive for is a life of consequence. What is consequence ? The dictionary says it is the result of an action, or matter of importance. Our actions should inspire positive results to those around us, as well as to ourselves. These actions should generate a cumlative effect over our lifetimes. To have touched all those that we encounter in a positive way. Even when that encounter may not have been a comfortable or pleasant experience. The consequences of an action may not be realized for a while. Sometimes there is an aging process.
I think perhaps we all want that reassurance that we are doing fine. That fame. Isn't that what fame really is, a continual reassurance ? Fame is sometimes held by fragile egos. Other times fame is lamented. We all seek some measure of fame. I believe that is human nature. But I also believe we should all be aware of consequences both to ourselves and to others. The fame that most of us seek is not fame , but reassurance. That is a lesson learned. A realization. Not that it is of much comfort in those times we feel the need for that reassurance, that recognition but it holds true. Live a life of consequence.

No comments:

Post a Comment