Sunday, October 12, 2014

Believing in Miracles

I have read and heard the story of the 29 year old woman that has decided to end her own life. She has chosen a date and time. This is allowed in Oregon under certain specified conditions. If the conditions are satisfied a doctor writes a prescription. This bundle of drugs will be lethal. The person must administer them on their own. This lady says it is not suicide, but rather a choice. Her choice is to " die with dignity. " The dictionary defines suicide as, killing oneself. If one is already under a death sentence due to illness,disease or the courts, is it suicide to speed up that process ? Oregon doesn't allow convicted criminals to do that, but terminally ill people may.
This decision has lead to much discussion. It is right ? Is it moral ? Is it a legitimate choice ?  Is it ethical ? A number of questions come to mind. The first that came to mind was, what does the bible say about suicide ? I could find nothing in that book that specifically condemns it. It does not say it is a sin. So the question of morality is answered, at least as far as my interpretation  It would not preclude my entrance to heaven. But what of the doctor that prescribes that lethal combination of drugs ? What does his oath say about that ? Depends upon which translation of the original oath he subscribes to. The classic translation specifically prohibits the administration of a deadly drug. The modern translation gives that power to the physician. What of the legal ramifications ? If this is allowed is the physician then compelled,by law, to adhere to that ? Consider similar cases in recent months. Bakers forced to bake a cake against their moral beliefs, photographers too, being sued for non participation. Accused of bigotry,discrimination and hate. Their moral objections falling upon deaf ears. What of that doctor ? If he refuses, is that malpractice ? What too, of the potential for abuse ?
These are just some of the questions raised. Another is, is this action an act of ultimate selfishness or ultimate compassion ? That is a question that can only be answered individually and by faith alone. Choosing to die is a personal decision, wouldn't you say ? Do we even have the right to express our opinion ? Can we truly judge what is right or wrong in that regard ? I do not think that can be answered unless we are faced with that choice. Is it then a matter of courage or cowardice ? God has given us free will. We may choose. Is that God's desire ? I do believe his will, will be done. I do not believe he would will my suicide. That is a personal feeling however and should not be taken as a judgement. I will say this, I would hope to have the faith to just let his will be done. That is to say, not attempt to interfere with his plan. For anything we do is merely an attempt and may or may not be allowed, according to his will. How else can we explain miracles ? If I believe in God, must I believe in miracles ? For me the answer is yes. Is my faith that strong ? I hope it is never tested that strongly. I can not judge anothers' faith nor beliefs. I do think I should not be forced to be a party in any of this.
I must recuse myself. The grounds for that action is my christian belief. This decision would have to be made on a secular level.
I do not believe our founding fathers established a strictly secular nation. The only flaw I can see in the plan is can the non-secular co-exist with the secular ? Is one choice better than another ? My response is immediate and firm, yes. John Adams said it best, " Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other. " Our constitution is unique in the world and that is what makes us America. I would want no other. Not forcing our citizens to recognize any one religion does not mean the complete absence of belief ! Indeed the founding fathers specifically mention, God given rights. And then, that being said I cast my vote with the non-secular view. The secular view is in contrast to the constitution. That is what John Adams believed and I must agree. 

No comments:

Post a Comment