Wednesday, October 1, 2014

For profit

Every once and awhile a commercial comes on television that instantly annoys me. One did just that yesterday morning. It begins with a man saying he is aware of the dangers of smoking cigarettes. It goes to to list all the possible negative health effects. Soon you get the image of a man walking hand in hand with a young boy. It ends with a statement something like this. I know I need to quit smoking, there is no question about that. The real question is, who is going to help me ?
Well ! I was always taught that God helps those who help themselves ! This little vignette reflects the attitude that is being pushed in America today. You are not responsible for anything and others need to help you. You are dependent upon others for this help. What's more, it is owed to you. Irregardless of your own culpability, the burden of responsibility is borne by others.
This just irritates me. If you know you need to quit smoking or doing whatever it is that you shouldn't be doing,stop ! It really is as simple as that. A whole industry is being created providing " help " for those in need. What a bunch of baloney. Substituting one evil for another is not solving the problem either. A whole generation is now being taught to be dependent. They are being taught that they cannot accomplish anything on their own,they need help. Whether it is losing weight,quitting smoking or just feeling better. There is a pill or therapist there ready to take your cash and help.
Is any of this about helping or is it about making a buck ? Or, what is even worse in my opinion, are those " helping " doing that more for themselves than those being " helped. " Charlatans I believe is the proper term. Seems to me that is the industry being promoted !
Oh, they throw terms around like " empowerment " in an attempt to deceive. We will empower you with the life skills necessary. Yeah right. Gimme a break with that nonsense. If we teach our children to take responsibility for their action and decisions it will go a long way to alleviate these problems. How about telling people that they are empowered by there own actions. How about telling people that they alone can make the necessary changes. Oh, that's right there is no money in that. You need to pay me or buy my product. Instead we say, Who is going to help me ? Instead we sue the tobacco companies or whoever because it is their fault. Instead we say, seek help. We should be teaching independence not dependence !
That one little ad stirred my blood. To me it is a reflection of society,as it is being taught today. It is all about the dollars and very little " sense. " Just like I need a cell phone so I can get a job ! Not my fault, so the government ( your money ) pays for my needs. I could continue with this for some time but you get the point. This point of view will never get to be popular or receive mainstream attention because it isn't selling anything. No money in it. And that sums it all up doesn't it ?  

No comments:

Post a Comment