Friday, October 17, 2014

R and R

How do we achieve happiness ? Happiness is not an accomplishment, but a gift. A gift captured in moments. It is not created or manufactured, but discovered. And it is discovered when we are not looking. The secret to being happy ? Happiness should be relived, not remembered. That is where confusion comes in. The door to depression and sorrow. When we get the mindset that the good times are in the past, that can be depressing. It is not so, we can relive our happiest times in our minds. That is the gift we all enjoy. Just as happiness is captured in a moment, so it can be relived. I was reminded of this just the other day. I heard the sound of laughter,the rattle of some pans in the kitchen , and I was reminded. And with that reminder, I relived.
Fame and fortune can not provide happiness. They are an excellent distraction however, that can not be denied. Still, there is plenty of evidence that those with these items are not necessarily happy. There is no guarantee. The acquisition of material items does not lead to happiness. The truth is one needs very little to be happy.
I will skip over all the cliches about happiness. It is my belief that happiness is captured in a moment. It is also my thought that happiness should be relived, not remembered. The distinction is a fine point but an important one. The happy times are captured and can not be taken from me. Happiness is a state. We may or may not be aware of it at all times. Like the weather it is only noticed in extremes. So too, our emotions.
I can only speak for myself. I make a conscious choice to relive those good times whenever the opportunity is presented. Some say I talk a lot and I suppose that is true. Through my talking, story telling and such, I am reliving moments. I choose to recall the good times and good moments. I find the sharing of the depressing, or bad, just leads to more of that. Atmospheres are created. I prefer sunshine, not clouds. Remember and relive " happy " and you are. It is that simple.  

No comments:

Post a Comment