Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Memory and Time

We have all heard that as we age time speeds up. You don't really understand that until you age, but believe me, you will. Age and understand that is. I was talking with my sister just the other day and this very subject came up. She remarked that her washing machine had broken. She was complaining to her daughter about that and how it wasn't that old. Her daughter then reminded her that she has had that washer for quite a number of years. I won't say how many, in deference to my niece, but she was still in school when it was purchased. She is now married with two children ! My how the years pass.
It is also true that as we get a little older we begin to appreciate the older items. We call them classic or antique, but the fact is, they are familiar. Many times they are the same items we used as a child or our parents used them. Now those things last ! It is not like this modern throw away junk they make today. How many I phones sixes will there be twenty years from now ? Shoot twenty days from now. Do you think any of these cars they are making today will last fifty years and still be drivable ? Doubt it. One computer chip or ECM failure and it's all over. Can't fix that with electrical tape or bailing wire.
It is a strange thing, this time. You would think as time got faster items would last longer. It is just the opposite however. Things are worn out more quickly ! There must be some formula for all of this. Perhaps memories drive time. The more memories you have, ie: the older you get, the faster time goes. Could be a relationship there. The time, however, remains unchanged, only our perception of it is altered. If we think of our lives in a linear fashion, from point A to point B that would explain it somewhat. The closer you get to B the farther away A is. When we get a little age on us we think it didn't take that long to get here, so time must have sped up somewhere along the way. I do remember when a week was a year ! This does sound like a problem for Einstein. Time is a constant, but the perception is not. Memories affect the perception of time.
Well all that being said I think I will just stick with my original thought. They just don't make stuff like they used to. Bunch of junk these days. Why my grandmother had items she used her whole life, and my mom too. They didn't throw things away and need new all the time. As far as this time thing goes, it is all a matter of perception. I think it all depends upon how good a memory you have. Not that you actually remember everything, but the things you do are closer. That is to say, more vibrant. Like that washer of my sisters, wasn't that old, she remembered buying that. She was just getting used to it. Funny too is the expression, " that old thing. " It means what ? It's a good thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment