Monday, September 1, 2014

September

When I woke up I realized it was September. September, a winter month in my mind. September is also a month associated with birthdays in my family. Mom,Dad, two brothers and some wives and ex-wives. Even a grandchild born in September. September has always meant school. Yes, and there is Labor day. Growing up Labor day marked the end of summer and the tourists. The " termites " all went home ! Termites don't like the cold weather.
This morning however I woke up to September and that song was in my head. September Song.
" Oh it's a long.long time from May to December, but the days grow short when you reach September. "
I first remember hearing this song done by Willie Nelson. I don't remember the albums name but think it may have been Stardust. I liked the melody and the guitar work. I hadn't really given the lyrics much thought. That has changed over the years. Now I know exactly what they are talking about.
" When the autumn weather, turns leaves to flame, One hasn't got time for the waiting game. "
That is a sobering line in the song and a sobering thought. Makes you want to reevaluate just where you are on the calender. I do think we all operate on a different calender. We do not know when the years begin or end. Man has devised a method to measure the immeasurable. We do think we are pretty clever in that regard. The truth is in each of our lives we have our own calender. What month am I in ? That is a question I can not know the answer too. I'm not even sure I would want to know. The rush to get everything done would be a burden. That is why we need to just relax a little and let things be. In the song he says he hasn't got time for the waiting game.
I think what is being said here is to go ahead and commit. Commit yourself to your beliefs. Life is forever approaching an end, and that is unavoidable. Some would think that is a sad thing. I believe it should not be. At least for ourselves it should not be. Yes, it will create sadness for those around us, but for us it is the continuation of a journey. I do not believe life ends with death. Our spirit lives on.
My Mom always said it, and many others as well, times goes faster as you get older. That is a true statement and you have to get older to understand it fully. September song addresses that issue. The song is saying, go for it. Do not waste time, for time is unrecoverable.  You cannot know when December will arrive and if there will be a January.
" Oh, the days dwindle down, to a precious few, September- November. These precious days, I'll spend with you. "
We should treasure our time here with each other. There is no time to waste with anger or disagreement. The months turn into years. It all begins in a moment and in a moment we are gone. It is what we leave behind that makes the difference, the difference for others and for ourselves.


This isn't Willie but I like this version. Goodnight Mrs. Kalibash, wherever you are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment