Saturday, September 13, 2014

Comfort

The air held a crispness and a heard a squirrel chattering in the tree. Out the open window the sun was just peaking through. It was nearly seven in the morning. Ah, fall is here. That is what this is all about. As I sipped my coffee I pondered the day. I have a soccer game to attend, it is important to lend support, and a few household chores. There is no hurry and I'm enjoying this time. What to have for breakfast ? Breakfast is a meal reserved for weekends and special occasions. All other days it is a grab and go type of thing. Coffee (always ) and perhaps toast or a quick bowl of cereal. Then it came to me, OATMEAL ! I can have a big warm bowl of oatmeal. That old Quaker on that cylinder of goodness is beckoning me. It is time. Time to switch to the comfort foods. Barbecue maybe one or two times more,then the grill is retired for the season. Even the Bible says, to all things there is a season. It is oatmeal season.
Can bowls of stew and chili be far behind ? Roasted turkeys and ham. Homemade bread. Fire up that oven and fill the house with warmth. Warmth and the smells of love. If love did have a smell that is what it would smell like. A welcoming home, a prelude to Thanksgiving. Yes, soon the windows will be shuttered and the home filled with warmth. The warmth of the closeness we feel in those long winter days. An end or a beginning ?  In the beginning we want excitement and adventure but in the end,comfort. Kinda like life.

No comments:

Post a Comment