Monday, September 8, 2014

An early fall

Looking at the harvest moon I'm thinking of an early fall. I'm seeing leaves on the ground and the squirrels are chattering. Our local weather person reports cooler temperatures on the way. September is in full swing. The stores are full of Halloween and fall decorations. Little Debbie has her fall cakes on the shelves.
The summer went quickly this year. It was a delightful summer. We didn't suffer too much with excessive heat or humidity. It was a bit dry but the crops did well. I did not set foot on the beach this year. I had an opportunity to do so, but declined. Strange, saying that. There was a time when the thought of not " hitting " the beach at least several times a week would have been unimaginable. But that was many years ago.
Fall can be a pleasant time. Nice temps during the day and cool in the evenings. I do enjoy sitting around a fire in the evening. Maybe toast a marshmallow or two. Hot dogs on a stick. Fall is never rushed. Fall is laid back,uneventful even. Raking leaves and turning over the garden. Fall is the season seldom anticipated, it just arrives. Like an unexpected guest fall appears on our doorstep and we are glad. Well, some are glad, while others mourn the loss of summer.
I will enjoy this brief period we call fall. The time before the holiday rush begins to take effect. It is a short window in time. Just a brief respite from it all. And it is coming, early. It doesn't feel rushed however, just arriving. I still have time before putting out my fall decorations. I like that part of an early season. I like it when you get to enjoy the season,for even a brief time, before feeling the need to react. A time to just enjoy. Celebrations should follow enjoyment. Our decorations are meant to do just that, celebrate the season. I'm thinking everything is going right on schedule, the way it is intended to be. September, summer ends, fall begins. Time to relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment