Wednesday, September 11, 2013

The way life goes

While my son is on vacation I have to assume some of his duties. One of them is taking Mark to soccer practice. Mark wasn't practicing with his team last night but assisting with the little kids team that his Dad coaches. I don't coach soccer as I am not qualified to do so, know little of the game rules and you have to be trained to know the signs of concussion. The later is a requirement from the league. So while they were doing that I watched another game being played. These other teams were eight to ten year olds. I knew none of the children playing so I watched with total impartiality. That was different, usually I am rooting for Marks team and while watching I have sometimes, just sometimes, been impartial in my assessment of the officiating ! I know, hard to believe but it is true. This was different, it didn't matter.
As I watched the children play I was also watching the parents and grandparents. It was easy to tell who was rooting for whom. Most were good natured about the game but some were dead serious ! Some sat quietly, smiling and clapping when it was appropriate. Others paced up and down the sidelines, yelling instructions and encouragement. Some were just yelling.
It was quite a contest. Back and forth they went with no one team showing any dominance. It is amusing to watch those teams as they move as a group. All the yellow team around the ball running down field, and all the blue team standing there to meet them. A battle for the ball and everyone in a knot around it. Sometimes the ball pops out of that cluster of players. The chase is on again. Back and forth. They're getting close to the goal now and ready to score. The goal keeper quits swinging from the top bar, where he was practicing his chin ups, to block the ball. Aww, so close. It's a goal kick. The goalie boots that ball as hard as he can and it moves three feet up the field. Swarm,swarm that's what it looks like. And the battle continues.
I must say I enjoyed watching this game. It was nice to not have any vested interest in the outcome. A sport for the sheer sport of it. The way the game was intended to be watched. During the game one little boy caught the ball with his face. Ouch ! He falls to the ground. The whistle is blown and everyone is told to " take a knee " Everyone does as the coach goes over to the fallen child. Looks like both teams are ' T- Bowing ". The coach is standing over the boy, who by this time is up on both knees in a kneeling position. Then Mom runs out on the field, drops to her knees and gives him a big hug and a kiss. He's alright now and stands up. I couldn't help but think, wouldn't it be nice if in life we had the same thing, you get hurt and all it takes is a hug from Mom. The game goes on. It also struck me how this happened and there was no shame, no self consciousness, next year it will be different. That little boy won't want Mommy hugging him on the field, no kissing it and making it all better. Shame it has to be like that, isn't it ? Well, that's the way life goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment