Tuesday, September 24, 2013

A Loss of Innocence

So I'm sitting back and relaxing,watching the old boob tube,when an advertisement comes on. It catches my attention with it's flash and increase in volume. They are advertising a new movie apparently about racing cars. It is directed by Ron Howard. Supposed to be a real thriller,filled with action, intrigue and sex ! It is rated " R ". What ? Opie is now making R rated movies ! Just what would Aunt Bee have to say about that ! The world really has turned upside down. I'm not really a movie aficionado so maybe this isn't the first R rated movie he has directed, but the first I am aware of. Strangely, I found it a bit shocking. I guess we just form opinions about certain people based on assumptions. I think of Ron Howard as Opie and later on, Richie Cunningham. Both good, clean cut, all American boys. Sure he is 59 now, but still ? I'm guessing being around that Hollywood crowd all these years has finally broke him down. Is he succumbing to peer pressure and the desire to make blockbuster films ? Another hero sold out.
I'm just clowning around here. I'm quite sure Ron Howard is a fine man and a good person. It was a bit surprising about the rating on the movie. I could think of no reason other than, I did remember him as Opie.
This reaction fits into the same category that prevented Shirley Temple from advancing in her film career. I have read about that and how the American public just couldn't accept her as anything but Shirley Temple. Drove the poor girl into politics, it did ! So, for me, Ron Howard will always be Opie and Richie. He was a close friend to Andy Griffith. Andy was a good man and a Gospel singer too. Could this loss have effected Ron in a negative way ? Andy passed last year and now Ron is making R rated movies ! Incredible.
We all live in our own little worlds. The world that we have created in our thoughts and minds. When things change to upset our world we look for answers. The why of it all. Most of the time we just blame someone else for that. That is the easiest way to explain it. Not my doing. I can't imagine what others are thinking sometimes ! When I was growing up our role models were a little different than what the kids have today. The beaver taught us right from wrong, the lone Ranger dealt in Justice and Father knew best ! What have they got today ? Miley Cyrus twerking ! Ah well, the times they are a'changin'. Bob Dylan knew that.
The Disney stars of today aren't quite the same. Annette stayed classy her whole life. Frankie Avalon remains an icon. I wonder what old Walt would have to say about all of this. I don't think he would be pleased.
They say ignorance is bliss. Ignorance is defined as a lack of knowledge or information. Yes, we were ignorant of some things in this world when we were growing up. I don't think that was necessarily a bad thing. At least it gave us time to mature before tackling some of the more serious issues in life. In fact I'm thinking we might be better served if we had continued in that vein. Maybe that is why some of the kids today act the way they do. Ignorance is bliss and I really enjoyed my childhood. Was that wrong ? I don't think so.



No comments:

Post a Comment