Monday, September 30, 2013

Seasoning the Soul

The beach in the fall. The beach takes on a different feel when the temperatures drop. The breeze off the water no longer comforting, but biting. The sand feels firmer beneath your feet and there is a silence. Echoes of summer can be heard. The seagulls are lonely and circle about. There is a stillness in the air.
I have always enjoyed the beach in fall and winter. I like the absence of crowds. The solitude is good for the soul. To commune with the water,whether bay or ocean, gives me comfort. I am aware my ancestors sailed these very waters and I wonder how they felt ? Did they too look out upon the water in wonder ? The sea both friend and foe. It can provide great bounty or take it all away. To gaze upon the sea in storm, is to see the fury of nature. The white caps and churning waves menacing in their anger. Yet, it is a beautiful sight to behold. A contradiction.
I no longer live close to the sea and at times I miss that. Walking on the beach in fall and winter is something that is done on a whim or fancy. To drive an hour or more to do that detracts from the experience. By the time I arrive the feeling is gone. It is always best when you can react to your moods without restraint or planning. The spontaneity in life, seasons your soul.
It may seem strange to some but a stroll through the cemetery can come close to the experience. When the air is chilly and the grass is losing its' luster. There are echoes there too, echoes of the past. I do not find the cemetery a place of sadness but rather a place of hope. Just as the waves whisper to me of solitude and silence, so too the stones.
I took just such a walk yesterday. I was inspired to write a verse and take some photos. Soon the ground may be covered and the world take on a different view. I welcome the change, the continuation of life. We should all take a walk now and again. Walk wherever your soul takes you and be refreshed. If more of us did that, the world would be a better place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment