Saturday, September 21, 2013

The benefits of Age

My granddaughters birthday is tomorrow. I was down at the Rite Aid drug store to get one of her gifts and a card. Now Morgan would like to have some perfume ( real grown up stuff ) called Wonderstruck by Taylor Swift. They keep that stuff locked up so I had to ask for assistance. The young girl behind the counter retrieved the key as I told her what I wanted. Chatting amicably, I told her what I needed that perfume for. I guess that was the first clue she got, as I told her it was for my granddaughter. Now the day was a bit chilly so I had a flannel shirt over my regular shirt as a sort of jacket. She had made a remark about the weather being so pleasant and I spoke of it being chilly. Clue #2 ? My wife had gone over to the card section and was browsing. I joined her there and we selected a card. Going to the checkout my wife asks me if I have the " wellness " card. In case you are not familiar with  that it is a reward card. Each time you use it for in store sales or promotions you gain points. The points are redeemable on merchandise.Now reaching back to retrieve my wallet I brush back that flannel shirt and my suspenders are exposed. Was that clue #3 ? I don't know but that same young lady I spoke with earlier says, " let me check something. " She took my card and scanned it, then rifling through a stack of papers, she checks for my name. Assuming it wasn't there,my name that is, she then says, " if you fill out this form you can get a 20% discount on this purchase and a 20% discount every Wednesday ! You are 65 aren't you ? " Well, I say, no I'm not, but I'm working on it ! Fact is that won't happen for another five years ! Blushing slightly this young lady apologizes and says she now feels bad. I tell her don't worry about it. As we leave the store my wife is laughing and says, " she was looking at you, not me. " I remain silent on that issue.
This isn't the first time an occurrence like this has happened. Some years back while having brunch at the Cracker Barrel the waiter incorrectly estimated my age. By a lot ! It was my birthday. The kids thought that was hilarious. I do get offered the " senior " discount every now and again. I can't help but think this age thing is all wrong. When you were young you want to be old. You try to disguise yourself and sneak around with a fake ID. It is an exciting time. When you do get old enough to qualify for " senior discounts and such, what do you get ? 20% off hemorrhoid cream or denture adhesive. Where are you going to sneak into ? A retirement home ? Just doesn't seem fair.
On an unrelated note I pose this question, at what age do you allow a girl to wear perfume ? Is there a difference between her wearing an inexpensive little girls perfume compared to the adult version ? I am talking other than price. I don't think so myself. I think if you allow the wearing of perfume, you allow it. Now lipstick is a different matter altogether !

No comments:

Post a Comment