Thursday, September 5, 2013

Creating a stir

I've written about them twice in the past. The first tine was October 10 of 2010, and then again on November 19,2011. And now here we are in September of 2013. These things that I wrote about seem of little consequence but apparently that is not the case. My daughter in law made a Facebook posting regarding these objects and the post blew up. Over fifty likes and numerous comments. When going to the bus stop to meet my Grand daughter, I have people yelling across the street at me. Just what could be causing such a stir ? I'll tell you, I started wearing suspenders. Yup, a simple thing one would think. I certainly never expected a flap over my fashion . The thing is I'm not wearing them for fashion, but practicality. They hold my pants up preventing plumbers butt. Nothing hard to understand about that. But I sure have had a lot of people asking me for an explanation. My grand daughter finds them embarrassing. She informs me they are not in style !
In my previous postings on this subject I had done some research. I learned that suspenders were once considered underwear. That was the primary purpose of wearing a waistcoat or vest, to cover those suspenders. The working class man may expose his suspenders but never a proper gentleman. I fit into the working class section so mine are exposed. There are those upper crust ladies that this may appeal to, the bad boy image. I am willing to assume that risk. I wear jeans most of the time and they , of course, have belt loops. I am breaking with convention by wearing a belt with the suspenders. Proper fashion dictates that you shouldn't but I've already established that bad boy persona, so I'm going with it. I just feel if the pants have belt loops you should wear a belt. The belt alone however no longer does the trick. I knew hair loss and graying would happen as I aged. I was ready for the bushy eyebrows and aches and pains. I had even prepared myself for wrinkling. What I didn't know was that my butt would migrate to my stomach ! That is the cause of the saggy pants. No matter how tight I pull the belt those pants just slide on by ! On with the suspenders. Nobody wants to see all that.
I am somewhat at a loss for words regarding the reception my suspenders have received. I really never expected anyone to say much or figure that anyone even noticed what I wore. I have long since passed the age where I care about fashion. I wear what I like, what is comfortable and the devil take the hindmost. Oh I try to stay presentable to spare the wife but function has definitely passed fashion in the decision making. The attention is nice, even bad attention is better than nothing, but it is surprising. As with all things however, it will pass. Given time it will become the norm. It won't be too long before seeing me without suspenders will be cause for discussion. When that happens, I'll change my hat !

                                                                                 
That's Me

No comments:

Post a Comment