Monday, September 2, 2013

Cedar Point

During a conversation yesterday a special place came to mind, Cedar Point Light. Cedar point light is an old lighthouse that stands sentinel over Northwest harbor. Growing up my father would sometimes take me there to go fishing or just enjoy a picnic. It has been many years since I was there and the details are getting fuzzy now. I do remember the big stone building and the light sticking out of the roof. This is not a lighthouse like you picture a lighthouse. This lighthouse is a house, with a light mounted on the roof. I found that curious but have learned there are several more built in this fashion. As a kid I was fascinated with this building. I wasn't allowed to go anywhere near it though. It was private property then and we were told not to trespass. A Miss Edith Beale owned it. Edith Beale is the aunt of Jacqueline Kennedy. Yes, that Kennedy. She later sold it to another man that was going to use it as a hunting lodge but that never happened.
I didn't go there very often, if I remember right the shore is a bit rocky there. It was a remote location as well. The lighthouse was built to guide the whaling ships into the harbor. The entrance to Northwest harbor and Sag Harbor bay is a dangerous one. My great great Grandfather was an offshore whaler and I'm certain he passed this light many time on his voyages. How many times he looked to the light and knew he was home, or watched that light fade into the night behind him I can't know. That he sailed seven times around the horn I do know.
At one time, I'm not sure of the year, my Uncle Emil, Aunt Anna and cousin Dolly lived in the lighthouse. It wasn't operating as a lighthouse then but belonged to the county park system. How wonderful that must have been. I wasn't around at the time so never got to go out there and see the house. I had heard rumors of it but my cousin confirmed that for me.
In 1974 some vandals set fire to the building. Now the windows have been bricked up and the interior left in ruins. There is a plan to restore the light and I wish for it to be done. That would be a project worth doing. I hear the area around the light is now a county park. Camping,fishing and the like. A lot of things have changed since I lived there and, surprisingly, some seem to be for the better ! I do hope the light is restored one day and shines again. Great Grandfather Abraham and his brother Oliver will be looking for it. I will too.

                                                                                 
Cedar Point Lighthouse

No comments:

Post a Comment