Sunday, September 1, 2013

Just Buildings

I saw another one yesterday, and it made me sad, another church closed and for sale. I saw one back in April of this year right here in Greensboro, it still sits empty. I am saddened when I ride down main street and see the only shops open are the beer,wine ,liquor and lottery places. Mom and Pop have closed their doors or have gone " breaking bad. " Now Walmart's and seven elevens are being built at an alarming rate.
Open on Sundays ! You bet they are. The pews at the church sit empty. Have we become too busy for God ?
I would agree that attendance is not necessary to be a good Christian. Faith is the only requirement and our Bibles tell us that. The Bible also tells us that wherever two or more should gather in my name, I am there. And isn't that the purpose of building the church ? Certainly the structure is just a building until we congregate there and then it becomes the house of God. He is there.
I can not help but wonder what causes a church to close. This church is an old church and has been in town for many years. The population of the town has only increased during this time but apparently the attendance has not. Sadly, it is apparent the attendance has declined significantly. What or who is to blame for this ? I would have to conclude it is society in general. Overall church attendance has declined. A quick Google search will verify that. And that statistic alone should tell you something.
I see these empty churches with there for sale signs out front. I am saddened because I see a piece of the American fabric up for sale. Gods house, for sale. Is God going broke or being foreclosed upon ? Where are those that worshiped ? There is a certain comfort obtained from praying in the same building as your father, and his father before him. A special bond formed on Sundays. I see this being lost, sold on the common market. It saddens me.
There are those that want to save the trees or whales. There are those that rally against discrimination and injustice. My cause would be to save the churches. If I could I would buy each one and preserve it forever. Services would be held there and the doors never closed. Churches are like old friends, they offer understanding and comfort. They should not be forgotten. Just buildings ? Perhaps one could say that, but is a wildflower picked from a field by your Granddaughter just a flower ?  How many are pressed between the pages of a book ? No, not just a flower or just a building.

No comments:

Post a Comment