Sunday, September 22, 2013

Prejudiced ?

A few days ago I wrote about division. I was speaking about coming from the wrong side of the tracks, as it where. Whether real or perceived those divisions exist. I believe they still exist today. Some thought I was referring to prejudice, which to me, is a totally different thing. What I failed to make clear was I was speaking of social division. The different social strata and your perceived position in it. Someone, I don't recall who, once said, perception is reality to the one perceiving, or something similar to that. This position can lead to prejudice ! Prejudice is the perception that a person, or groups of people, are somehow inferior or superior, to your perceived group. Those targeted by this prejudice are not afforded the same respect or opportunity as those in your own grouping. Prejudice exists, always will, but can also be a perception. We are conditioned to perceive things in a certain way. Our parents,grand parents, peers and role models do this on an unconscious level. At least I hope it is an unconscious thing when bad behaviors are taught. The perpetuation of prejudice is a choice. It can be eliminated. It would take cooperation from all the social strata and I really can't see that happening anytime soon. It is a wonderful dream though. It is what Martin Luther King was dreaming about.
To say prejudice didn't exist in my world when I was growing up would be a lie. Of course it did. The degree of that prejudice is what is in question. All prejudice is inherently bad. That is because it is based on preconceived ideas not based in fact or actual experience. It is based on what we are told. Someone else's preconceived ideas. Often to deviate from that causes a division in our own social strata. That is why we sometimes cling to these notions. It is uncomfortable for us.
Racial prejudice is what is commonly thought of when the word prejudice is used. There are many other forms however. Social and economic prejudice exists and is just as detrimental. This has been so throughout recorded history. We are making gains as people however. There was a time when religious affiliation was a major reason for prejudice. When John Kennedy was elected president for instance, it was a great concern that he was a Catholic. Why ? The Protestants didn't like it, not one bit. In fact on September 12,1960 Kennedy addressed this very issue with a meeting of the Protestant clergy in Houston Texas. The words he spoke there are inspiring. And this is coming from me, not a big fan of Kennedy. I think in elections today religious affiliation is a side bar. Unless of course we are talking about, dare I say it, a Muslim. Non Christians will still meet with prejudice ! Just a fact. A Buddhist or Shinto might be alright but would still meet with criticism. An agnostic would stand no chance.
Am I prejudiced ? Yes. I have preconceived ideas about other people or groups without having direct knowledge. That makes me prejudiced. Am I unwilling to learn or experience those other groups ? Not in the least. The problem lies in a matter of trust. Can these other people be trusted ? The social interaction between different groups can be a treacherous path to tread. Misunderstandings can occur. Offense can be taken. Common ground must be found. A place were both parties feel secure and comfortable. That is the real challenge. The willingness to expose oneself to something unfamiliar and different. It is this defensive posture that is the barrier.
I do see this barrier coming down. Slowly, very slowly, an acceptance is being generated. Each generation has made a contribution to this progress. Will prejudice ever be completely eliminated ? I don't think so, not as long as man has independent thought. Differences are often met with resistance. Change is always difficult. Prejudice is not to be confused with hatred. I think that is the biggest misconception. I may harbor prejudice without hatred. In my experience I was never told or influenced to hate anyone. I was told of differences, whether they were real or perceived, and left to form my own opinion. That in and of itself is progress. The discussion has begun and will continue.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment