Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Changing the routine

The kids are off on vacation. The kids (my son and his wife) are going to the Dominican Republic for a four day romp in the sun. Good for them and I surely hope it is the vacation of a lifetime for them. They both work hard and deserve it. That leaves the wife and I with the grand kids. We will be back to raising children for a week. Seems odd, although to tell the truth the grand kids are with us almost as much as their parents. Only difference being they won't be going home at night. We have a list of all the activities they have to attend . It must be old age but the list seems a little daunting. Soccer practice, dance classes, back to school night and picture day at school. Just getting them to these activities doesn't seem all that bad until you factor in all the preparation involved. You have to make sure the proper clothing and equipment goes with them. I'm trying to remember how we did it back in the day. It is beginning to stress me out already ! I hope this isn't an indication of things to come. My Mom is 82 now and stresses out about a Doctors appt three days before she has to be there. It seems like that happens a lot with us senior people. I wonder why that is ? I have a built in excuse to be late or not know what is going on, I'm old and unfamiliar with the routine. Still this feeling of responsibility is weighing on me.
This has to be why they say children can keep you young. You have to become younger to stay up with this stuff, it is not a choice. Strange thing is, in my experience, these kids age me ! All this worry about schedules, homework,meals and the like. It is taxing and today is only the first day ! Well I hope the kids enjoy this vacation to the fullest, it is going to cost them. When they get back the wife and I may need medication. As the responsible parties we should be covered under their insurance plan, like employees. If they are lucky we won't need long term care. I think it would be wise of them to plan otherwise however.
I am looking forward to a wonderful week. I am thankful that we can watch the children and are able to do so. The time we get to spend with the grand children can not be found in a vacation package. It will be a change in routine and that is a good thing. Keeps you fresh and relevant ! I do need to say those things to convince myself. Seriously though, it is a wonderful thing and I am grateful for the time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment