Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The Finest Kind

I keep hearing about " quality of life " in all these ads on television. I keep hearing assurances that if I purchase these products my quality of life will be enhanced. Shoot, if everything in my life isn't exactly the way I want it or think it should be, it is clearly an indication of a poor quality of life. Should I be unable to perform as I did when I was say,nineteen, my quality of life has been diminished. I need to take action !
It has given me pause to consider just what is quality of life ? How does one measure it ? Is your life only of sufficient quality if you are able to do whatever you want ? To be denied anything is to suffer a loss of quality ? To be second rate. To have an inferior life ? That seems to be the implication.
I must say some of these ads tend to make me bristle. I'm perfectly fine with the fact that my old bones ache a little in the morning. My life has not been seriously diminished. Yes, my hair is gray and thinning, no big whoop. I can't climb mount everest either, but you would have me believe I could ? With a Jazzy scooter ? Right and I can get it free. That ought to improve my quality of life.
These so called quality of life issues are nothing more than regular old life issues. Those obstacles and disappointments we all meet with. According to the drug companies we can just medicate them away. According to others we can buy whatever it is we need to make us happy. And isn't that what those ads are talking about ? Happiness. What makes you happy and content in this world. The answer of course is different for each of us. Your priorities will not always coincide with mine. I just find it a little insulting the " issues " they feel should affect me. Do they really believe I am that shallow ? That narcissistic ?
The phrase Quality Of Life has become so cliche. Like cutting edge technology. Give me a break. And it is aimed primarily at us mature people. Ha, mature, that's another one, we are just getting old ! I know some old folks that are just as immature as a tenager ! Don't try and sugarcoat it. Sugar kills anyway ! Your life and the quality of that life is what you make it. It is not dependent upon others or material things. You must choose the way you wish to live it.
Where I came from the old folks had a phrase. You don't hear it used much anymore, but it summed up a lot about a person. They would say, " He was the finest kind. " And it meant that he/she was a good person and had lived a good life. The finest kind- of good quality. There quality of life was such that they brought enjoyment to others. Now that is Quality of life. You can't buy it on tv or the internet. You can't get it for free on some government program. You must earn it. The quality of your life is not dependent upon what you do for yourself, but what you do for others. No excuses.

No comments:

Post a Comment