Monday, June 10, 2013

Benjamin

My sisters son and his wife just had another son. His name is Benjamin and he was born on Friday last. That makes me a Grand Uncle for the eleventh time. Very soon it will be twelve as we have one in waiting. The family keeps on growing and the world keeps turning. Thanks to Facebook I have seen a picture of the little guy. They live in Arizona and that's a little too far away for me to go. Loving this digital age stuff.
When I received word of this most momentous of occasions, births always are, I had to smile. The growth of the family tree should bring pleasure to all. Another connection to the eternal. It is in these lives that we ourselves go forward. We tend to think only about those closest to us and our immediate family but in fact the extended family is no less important. A world of information lies within those members. There are connections.
Now take little Benjamin for instance. He may one day ask, why was I named Benjamin. The answer may be, after your fathers grandfather. His name was Ben. That would be correct, to a point. His great grandfather, my father, was called Ben but his name was Austin. No one ever called him Austin though, just Ben. I'm his Grand Uncle Ben. My name isn't really Ben either. Yup, I'm Austin too. Junior in fact and thankful I was never called that !  So where does Benjamin come in ? Well it is like this. Benjamin's great great grandfather Elwood had a very close  friend named Austin Bennett. That is why the name Austin appears. The twist here is this man, Austin Bennett, was called Ben. I have heard my Mom call my Dad Benjamin on occasion, jokingly, and she has done the same to me. Benjamin as a reference to Benjamin Franklin. So the truth of the matter is that there are no real Benjamins. There are, but there aren't. That is one  ghost in the family tree. We know this ghost. Transparency is the hallmark of a ghost. Couldn't resist that one. So bottom line is little Benjamin is the first !
Most of us know our cousins,Aunts and Uncles. We know our Grandparents. Beyond those immediate connections things can get a little vague. Second cousins and such can be confusing. Unfortunate events can happen, like divorce, and we become separated from each other. Divisions can form in families. Connections can be lost. I hope to meet little Benjamin one day and tell him the story of Benjamin in person. Grand Uncle Ben knows the deal. Grand Uncle Ben, whose name is Austin, is known as Ben and was once called Benny.
Benjamin, a fine name and one with honor and history. I like it.

Kristin Mitchell and Benjamin.


No comments:

Post a Comment