Thursday, June 6, 2013

An interesting question

Tonight I get to watch as my grandson is officially inducted into the Junior National Honor Society. Quite an honor and an accomplishment. I am beaming with pride and so is Mark. It is a wonderful thing to see him so happy and proud .
This honor came by way of nomination. He was invited to become a member. He did have to fill out a paper and go through an oral screening process. He was given some questions that may have been asked during the interview phase. I reviewed those questions with him as well as his Mom and Dad. One of the questions was an interesting one to think about. Name a life changing event in your life. Why ?
I thought that a tough question for a twelve year old and indeed a tough question for anyone to answer. Mark had an answer right away. He said, when I was baptized ! Bam, just like that the certainty of youth strikes. Mark was baptized when he was nine, by immersion and remembers it well. As to the why of it, he tells me it showed him right from wrong. Now, you can't argue with that answer.
I have been thinking about what answer I would give. I must say it is a difficult question for me to answer. To be completely honest I'm not sure I can identify a life changing moment. I can think of some very important moments but life changing ? I think an explanation of life changing would be in order. I would need something to quantify that moment against. My life so far has been what I would call, regular. Nothing spectacular, not overly dramatic and thankfully not overly traumatic . I have had good fortune most of the time.
So I am left with that question. What is a life changing moment ? I would have to say it is a moment that caused you to change the way you live your life from that moment on. I'm not sure that has happened to me. My life has been more of a series of small changes, adjustments if you will. I'm still a work in progress. I am subject to change. I'm open for a life changer though. I recommend winning the lottery. I'd like to try that life changer ! Life changers should be good things but I'm sure they are not always so. Learning from one's mistakes is a sign of growth.
I will say that marrying my wife has proven to be the best decision I have made. I could argue that she changed my life and the point would be valid. The thing is she accepted me just the way I was, and continues to accept me just the way I am. Is that life changing ? Only if that change allowed me to remain the same. Yes, I think that would be the change. My wife changed my life by not changing me. Or at the very least not so I would notice. That must be those "wiles " I hear women have.

No comments:

Post a Comment