Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Keeping the Lights On

I've heard a call to action. The Christmas lights in Greensboro are in danger of being extinguished. This is not from some liberal group or political correctness. No, this is a matter of sheer economics. Money rearing its' ugly head once again.
The local electric company has been performing an upgrade to the electrical grid. New transmission wires and poles are included in this project. Unfortunately some of these poles also contained the hook up for the Christmas lights. New requirements and equipment are needed to reattach the lighting. The cost is significant. Like most municipalities ,Greensboros budget does not contain excess funds . In other words, no money for that. Some of the local civic groups are working on this problem but their budgets are strained as well.
When I heard about this small dilemma I was moved to action. I want to begin a campaign to raise these funds. I'm thinking of calling it, Keep the Lights On. I have no prior experience at this fundraising business but am more than willing to learn. I expect there are rules and regulations to be followed. The only thing that makes me nervous is this thing getting bogged down in bureaucracy. I don't want it stuck in committee or in planning !
The approximate amount required would be ten thousand dollars !  That's a lot of money. Based on the population of Greensboro In 2011 that equates to $ 5.20 per person. It is a lot,but I think attainable. Can you spare $ 5.20 for Christmas ? I'm thinking businesses could sponsor a pole as well. I'm anxious to get started. I don't know if this goal is achievable for this holiday season but I want to try. There are a great deal of logistics to be worked out.
The Christmas lights are just one thing we take for granted. The local Lions Club has always graciously hung the lights. The town paid the electric bill. How many years we have enjoyed these lights without having additional funds I can't say. Yes, you could argue that you pay taxes. That is true but that tax money is not earmarked for that purpose. Vital services come first. Contrary to what a lot of people seem to think, tax money is not unlimited. It doesn't magically appear each time an expense pops up.
I've got a lot of research to do to figure this out. I hate red tape and bureaucracy. Let's get this done is my feeling. It's a no brainer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment