Friday, June 14, 2013

Have or have not

Summer vacation has begun. The grandchildren have camps and vacation bible school on their agendas. Our schedules have been changed as well. I was thinking about how different it was when I was a kid. I never went to camp. Camp was something that the rich kids did. That wasn't something regular folks like us did. That was the perception anyway. It was that way with class trips too. Only the rich kids ! That was alright though because that was just the way it is. That is what we were told and what we got used to. No need to be upset by that. There are those that have, and those that have not.
I do remember going to vacation bible school at St. Lukes church. Only went the one year as far as I can remember. I know that we made a Kipa. A Kipa is the small hat worn by the Jewish men. For whatever reason ones remembers such things I can vividly recall lacing the triangle shaped pieces of material together to form the cap. The sections were different colors. Exactly why we make Jewish headgear at a Christian bible school I can't say. The lesson being taught has been lost to me. Guess I wasn't paying attention.
In recent years I have noticed that vacation bible schools seem to have a theme. Much like a themed party. Nothing wrong with that as long as the message being taught gets communicated. My grandchildren attend these schools and camp every year. I think it s a wonderful thing for them. They enjoy them so much and learn their lessons. I'm positive these schools and camp are having a positive effect upon them. They are learning life skills. They are learning how to get along in this world.
Growing up I never had a feeling that I was missing out on anything. I didn't feel any resentment towards those that went to camp. In fact, I held myself aloof from all that. I wasn't confined to a camp. I could roam free and explore on  my own. I was independent. My parents didn't ship me off somewhere, no sir, not like some of those others. Now watching the grandkids I do get a twinge of resentment now and again. Maybe camp would have been fun. Well, no sense worrying about things you can't change. No sense in being upset over what others may, or may not have. That was the lesson we were taught. Take what life offers you and be grateful. It's a good way to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment