Monday, June 3, 2013

Making a habit

Having settled in to Greensboro I have decided to join a flock. I have written in the past about finding a church to attend. I really should attend on a regular basis. I haven't done as much searching for that home as I should. Like a lot of people I keep making excuses. The primary one being their is not an Episcopal church in town. The closest one is in Denton a distance of seven miles. Might as well be seventy. That is the back home in me. I don't travel far.I need to quit making excuses. My father was a Methodist and my daughter in law and grandkids are methodist. I could be a Methodist ! 
The truth of the matter is I find it hard to fit in. I am not used to their method of worship or real familiar with their traditions and practices. I know we are all Christians and the basic tenets are the same, but still. I know no one there on a personal basis. And some things they do I find uncomfortable. The turning and saying hello to everyone and walking around shaking hands in the middle of the service I find disturbing. It is the old school in me. My problem,not theirs. The modern christian songs I do not relate too. I like the old traditional hymns. The hymns of my mother and grandmother. And the one thing I enjoyed the most, a good Sermon, seems to be lacking. Preach to me ! I like a good lesson,well taught. Make me think about my life and where I'm going with it. The shepherd should lead the flock, with authority and the mantle of right ! 
So now you have heard all the excuses. I need to get past them. The journey begins with the first step,as a wise man once pointed out. Where will I fit into the flock ? That is a question that will have to be answered. All organizations have a hierarchy. Yes, even churches. I dislike the feeling of being an interloper. Even though I am being welcomed with a smile and a handshake that feeling is pervasive. I do know the only way to get past that is by constant attendance. Knowing and doing are often different things.
Habits are formed by repetition. Getting in the habit of going to church is no different. I wonder why it is so much easier to form bad habits than it is to form good ones. One of life's cruel little jokes I suppose. This time I don't need to break a habit, but make one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment