Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Next

I hate waiting in line. I think it comes from my military experiences of, hurry up and wait. I just find very few things that are worth waiting in line for. A substitute can be had easy enough. No restaurant has food worth waiting for. I hate having to wait to check out at the store. If you want my money you should be waiting for me ! Rides at amusement parks aren't that exciting. Wait an hour to ride three minutes ? I don't think so. At the doctors office. He isn't anyone I really want to see in the first place. Well, you get the idea. Being next in line is as good as it gets. If I'm next I can wait, a little bit anyway.
I am the youngest of my siblings. I always had to wait for everything. Maybe that has something to do with it. My Mom is the youngest of her siblings. She is also the last surviving sibling. She often complains of being the last in the line. I remind her gently that it is better than being the first. But then I think about that and wonder if that is really the case. After my Mom is gone her entire generation will have passed. The fact of the matter is an entire generation is fast leaving us. For those of my age, our parents generation. After that, I'm next ! Next seems a bit too soon.
So now I have to rethink this whole idea of being in line. What's the rush. It'll be there when you get there. The food will probably taste better if you wait longer. If I wait long enough the amusement park will close and I won't have to ride that boring ride after all. I can use the excuse, well I waited. Waiting in line at the store will give me more time to reconsider my purchases, act as a buffer to those impulse buys. Could be a good thing. Yes, slow and steady wins the race. The pleasure of being next quickly goes away. The only problem here is I don't have a choice. The best I can do is hold my place in line as long as possible. I can wait. The wait will be worth it in the end. Any volunteers for the head of the line ?

No comments:

Post a Comment