Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Yeah,That'll Work

I saw on the news last evening that the FDA proposes putting graphic pictures on packs of cigarettes. They would depict the possible effects of smoking with pictures including a smoker on the autopsy table. I couldn't help but wonder what the effect of that would be. A federal judge has blocked that move,temporarily at least.
The one liners on the side of the packaging are apparently not enough.
I viewed that story with amusement. As an ex smoker I found it laughable. If I were still enjoying that habit I can assure you pictures would not change my mind. We have been bombarded with those images for years in school and on television. The only thing that gave me enough incentive to quit was the cost. I finally figured if smoking was going to kill me, I wasn't going to go broke doing it. Simple as that.
And so, that being said,it begs the question ? If the FDA imposes that rule on the cigarette companies, what comes next ? Are we going to start posting pictures on everything else that is potentially harmful ? Or even limited to things we know are harmful ? Are we going to put pictures of obese people on snack foods with a warning label ? This is you on snacks ? Pictures of diseased  livers on alcohol bottles. Where do you draw that line ?
I just can't help but wonder. The Federal Drug Administration proposes this hair-brained idea. These are the same people that control prescription medicines in our country. The same bunch that demands years of testing and trials on any new drug. The same bunch that has helped fuel the ever increasing cost of healthcare. I agree that smoking is detrimental to your health. Don't need to be a doctor to figure that out. Many years ago the FDA required those warning statements on the packs. That was 1966 as a matter of fact. Forty five years ago. And now, the best they can come up with is, let's put a picture on them. What is the thought process there ? We can't read ? They must believe us all deaf too. Or is it that you haven't heard about the dangers of smoking ? No matter how you feel about the issue, this proposal is just silly. My Opinion. It may prove to be inconvenient  to the tobacco company and add additional cost to the product but make people quit. I doubt that.
Well,it was good for a laugh or two anyway.
Oh, the proposed changes would have half of the front and back of the package covered with these photos. An additional requirement would be all advertisements must contain a minimum of 20% with these pictures. IE: Billboards,etc. That ought to do it !

No comments:

Post a Comment