Tuesday, November 1, 2011

I'm Looking

The past week has been a week of discovery. Not really discovery I suppose, but confirmation of past finds.
I have had in my possession for some time a belt and buckle that I believed to be from the Civil War. It was also my belief that it belonged to my second Great Grandfather James B Terry. Turns out I was correct in it being a genuine artifact from the war. I also received further reassurance that it was in most likelihood his possession.
On Friday night last,a civil war historian and expert in early 19th century American history,gave a lecture at our local library. It was part of a program called, Friday Nights in Caroline,part of a continuing education series. Following his presentation I had the chance to show him my belt. I told him nothing of what I thought it to be. A secret test you might say. To my delight he immediately identified what it was. And he described it exactly as I thought. It is indeed a sword belt that would have been worn for ceremonial occasions by a Sargent. That was in keeping with my ancestor. He was a Sargent in the Union Army. I then showed him my picture of my ancestor and a copy of his service record. A brief chat followed. I had been hoping for confirmation on that belt and buckle and finally received it.
I wrote last month about my Great Grandfather being in the Almshouse and eventually dying there. While doing some searching of another website provided by a friend, I stumbled across another web address. This address was for the archives of the Almshouse kept at Riverhead ,New York. I went there and found a contact. I explained what it was I was looking for and further stated there was no way I could travel to the repository. I asked if there was any way I could possibly get some assitance. To my utter surprise I got an e-mail the very next day. In this e-mail I was asked to provide whatever information I had about him. I responded with the known facts. Within the hour I had a copy of his Inmate record ! Truly amazing. I had been trying to get someone to go there for me. I had wondered about what I might find. And in the end all I had to do was ask. This was provided to me at no cost whatsoever. I am truly grateful.
From this document I learned his mother and fathers names. His brother and a daughter. I learned the reason he was there. His occupation. It was also further proof that he was indeed born on the fourth of July but in 1870 not 1871 as I had thought. A treasure trove of information.
It is truly amazing what discoveries can be made if you only look long enough and hard enough. The resources are there. I feel like I can finally lay my Great Grandfather to rest. I know most of his story now. He passed in 1940 from stomach cancer. I don't need to wonder about that belt and buckle anymore either. I am satisfied that it is genuine. I will make a case to display that in.
The last week has been a good one. There are still many discoveries to be made. One ancestor in particular has proven to be quite elusive. I will track her down. Great Great Grandmother Sarah Parker Lester. Where are you ? The big question there is,who were her parents ? I'll be looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment