Thursday, November 10, 2011

Looking Ahead

Seems like the older I get, the more time I spend looking back. Reliving past glories and regretting opportunities missed. Thinking about how things were better back then and the hardships weren't quite as hard. That can develop into a habit. I need to watch that. It is alright to remember and talk but not to dwell upon. It is that way with most things, lest it become an obsession. Obsession leads to possession and the next thing you know ,you're a ghost obsessed with reliving the past. No peace for you !
So I'm starting to make a more conscience effort to look forward. I'll still be glancing back at the past but more focused on the future. Hopefully learning from the past while moving forward. I've recently been asked to work on a new project and am excited about the possibilities there. The scope of the project is a large one and should prove to be quite a challenge. Looking forward to it ! The project involves gathering the data on all veterans from Greensboro,Md. Think I'll start at the beginning, the War of Revolution,and go from there. So,I can look at the past while moving into the future. What a plan.
Greensboro is in Maryland which is a border state. During the Civil War many families were divided on the issue. I expect I may find a few right here in Greensboro. In an informal poll I took, most here claim to be Rebels. It was unclear if that was by descent or a more modern choice. I'm betting I will get a clearer understanding of that later on. Looking forward to that !
Next year we celebrate the two hundredth anniversary of the War of  1812. Fort McHenry is not far from here. I'm sure some veterans from that conflict are local boys or gals. Looking forward to finding out about that. So, I've got a lot of history to look forward too. The best of both worlds !

No comments:

Post a Comment