Monday, November 28, 2011

Risky Business

I was watching the television when this ad comes on. A  man ,about forty or so I'd say,is standing by a roadway. He is looking down a hill and says, " I used to ride my bicycle down this hill without a helmet !  I took some crazy chances back then."  I couldn't help but bust out laughing. Oh man, what a dare devil he must have been. A regular Evil Knievel. He goes on to say he is taking " Prilosic " or some such drug for a heart condition. He must not have heard the rest of the story about the possible side effects. If he thinks it was risky riding that bicycle without a helmet,well he had better think again.
That set me to thinking. I've done the same thing in the past. What other risky behaviors might I unknowingly have engaged in ? I went roller skating without wearing any pads. Fired a gun without hearing protection. I have used all sorts of tools without eye protection. I didn't get flu shots. I didn't even use hand sanitizer ! OMG How have I survived this long ?
 Once,a very long time ago,I was young and reckless and took incredible chances. I didn't know just how risky those behaviors were. Now,thanks to our government, I am aware. The government mandates those warning labels. Just look on any new bicycle and there is a label right there that clearly states," always wear a helmet ." They even have laws about it. Get a cup of coffee and it clearly states," may be hot." I didn't have benefit of all that knowledge and research the government has conducted over the years. I'm just sayin' we didn't know that those plastic dry cleaning bags weren't toys. Sure glad they printed that on there. I'm pretty sure disaster has been averted. Curiously, there is no warning on a toaster about sticking a fork in there. Well maybe the study isn't complete on that one yet. Back in 1985 the government determined metal lunch boxes for children were dangerous. They could be used as weapons ! Production on those were stopped. Only plastic ones are currently manufactured in the United States. Your government in action.
The thing is this. With all this information and warnings it could tend to make you a little paranoid. Make one act a little reserved. I'm starting to get worried about getting carpel tunnel from all this typing. You know what that is,don't you ? My point exactly. You know what PAD is too. AFIB. You know about good cholesterol and bad. A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. You can't prevent everything from happening. You could,but you have to be dead ! Whatever happened to just using good common sense.
I've got a bicycle. I'm going to ride it with the grand children. I'm not wearing a helmet ! I think I'll survive. Should I fall and crack my head open you can say," I told you so." that would be fair. Call me a risk taker,a daredevil and a fool ! I'll deal with what life throws at me on my own terms.
Going for that toast now. If it gets stuck in the toaster I won't put a fork in there to retrieve it while it is still on. Common sense. I'll use a plastic one or a wooden skewer. Oh I'm a risk taker all right.


No comments:

Post a Comment