Thursday, November 24, 2011

Never name your dinner

It being Thanksgiving, my mind just naturally gravitated toward food and especially Turkey. A short story was brought to mind. My fathers mother passed away shortly after his birth. His father remarried a lady named Lina. Dad never went to live with his " Aunt Lina " as he was apt to refer to her. She had two sons with my Grandfather and Dad called them his brothers. I guess it was one of those complicated family things. As a child I never questioned any of that. Never gave it a thought to tell you the truth. That is the beauty of childhood you just accept things the way they are . Anyway,she purchased a young turkey one year for the express purpose of raising it for Thanksgiving dinner. A pen was constructed and this bird was aptly named, Tom. Cliche I know but Tom it was. Every year along about November Aunt Lina would survey that bird. Each year she thought maybe he would grow just a little bit more. Every year Tom received a stay of execution. I remember seeing this big old Turkey in his pen. He would just struct about and make a lot of noise if you got too close. In the end Tom died of old age. I learned a lesson from that, never name your dinner !
I was relating this tale to a co-worker when I noticed we sell Turkey Bacon. Not being weight conscious or having cholesterol issues I pay little attention to this stuff. Turkey bacon,really ? Is it turkey or is it bacon ? What sort of mad science is this ? Or is it some form of unnatural coupling ? Then I noticed a another product, scalloped potatoes and bacon. Bacon again. I also saw bacon flavored,key word flavored, dip. What is with all this bacon ? Is the pig trying to replace the turkey ?
Why can't we just leave things alone ? Turkey is turkey and bacon is bacon. It is just not natural I tell you.
Well,whatever you decide on for your Thanksgiving dinner, enjoy. Give thanks for all that you have.
                                                 Happy Thanksgiving 

2 comments:

  1. I had to read this to Mike...it's a great offering, Ben! Laughed all the way through it. Mike said he was waiting for you to 'pick apart' the scalloped potatoes....WHAT? scallops in potatoes??

    Whatever you decide to eat today, ENJOY IT, and yes, let us remember to give thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually Turkey bacon is not healthier then regular bacon. Its' on of those health gemicks that got started in the low fat craze and refuses to die.

    ReplyDelete