Tuesday, November 29, 2011

A Memory on Time

When I was twelve years old I went to the seventh grade. I left elementary school behind and attended classes at the high school. We didn't call it middle school back then, it was junior high. Not sure when that changed. Or do you attend Jr. high at the middle school ? I remember having a homeroom teacher and changing classes throughout the day. That was a big change, but the biggest was you got to leave the building for lunch. This was long before security was an issue. You were free to come and go. If you left when you weren't supposed to, it was on you. Same with getting back. That was your responsibility. No one watched the doors or anything like that.
The school building was a short distance from downtown. When the bell rang for lunch we would stream out of that building. The closest place to eat was the Marmador. A typical teenage hangout of the time. Booths and a jute box. Further down and on the opposite side of the road was Speed Kings place. Like the Marmador, but no jute box. As a general rule you went to one or the other. The cool kids hung out at the Marmador and the rest of us, Speeds. I can't speak for everyone, but I remained loyal to Speeds throughout high school. Had many a plate of fries and a coke at that joint. Cost a buck. During Jr. High I didn't eat there everyday. Mom gave us fifty cents a day. Had to save up. Felt pretty grown up when you could sit at that counter and order it up.
On the days when you were saving there were other diversions. Tony  Cangalosi had a sporting goods store. Could stop in there and check out the new wood and gloves. Wood, in case you don't know, is a baseball bat. Tony had Louisville sluggers,the best you could get. Had Rawlings gloves too. Made in America. He also had knives,bows,shotguns and all matter of cool stuff to check out. Could spend all lunch hour in there. Tony didn't mind. The 5&10 cent store was just around the corner and Hagedorns music box. The five and dime sold baseball cards and you could check out the latest release at the music box. A 45 cost 90 cents though. You could eat, or get the latest beat. Tough choice.
There was also a certain jewelry store. This store was owned and operated by my Sunday school teacher,Mrs. Fanning. I don't recall how it came to be, but Mrs. Fanning allowed me to buy things on time. I thought I was the only one she did this for, but I know now  that wasn't the case. Still, at the time I felt pretty important. I would pick out the item I wanted and give her my down payment. Most of the time the fifty cents Mom gave me for lunch. Mrs. Fanning would remove it from the display case and place it in a drawer behind the counter. Each day I would stop in with my next installment. I remember getting ear rings for $ 5.00. When the bill was paid in full, I got the item. Man did that feel good. Sometimes Mrs. Fanning would gift wrap it, no charge. I always did this alone. I didn't want the other kids to know I had to pay on time for things. I was afraid of being teased. Mrs. Fanning never let on either.
Those were very good years for me. My first taste of independence. Well, excepting I needed that lunch money from Mom. I would collect bottles for the deposit and sometimes an odd job or two would help. All through school I used this installment plan for my various needs. After Mom, it was the young ladies I bought for. ID bracelets were the rage then, especially engraved ones. Bought a couple of them. To quote a line from a song, " could it be that it was all so simple then ? " Yes, yes it was. I think we all received as much education during lunch as we did in class. 

1 comment:

  1. Good days for sure. Since I could walk into the village I spent many, many hours there. I remember Tessie Marasca who owned the Pot Pourri shop - a tiny place in Main Street - and I could go in there with $3 (from babysitting) in my pocket for my mother's birthday and she always managed to fid something that I could afford! I wonder how much money she lost on local kids shopping for birthdays and Christmas!

    ReplyDelete