Sunday, November 20, 2011

The Rush

Everybody is saying it. They are rushing the holiday season. I saw the evidence today ! The town has hung the holiday lanterns on the light poles up and down main street. Technically, not the town but the Lyons club. No one puts up the Flag for Veterans day however. A pet peeve of mine and I'm just sayin'.
I was out of town yesterday away to the big city of Baltimore. My sister in law lives there. She would tell you she lives in Brooklyn though. That is Brooklyn Maryland not Brooklyn New York. At any rate these lanterns must have been hung then. It was dark when I got home so I didn't see them. They won't turn them on until after Thanksgiving anyway. A small concession to the big rush driven more by the cost of electricity than out of tradition. Remember when Santa arrived at the end of the Thanksgiving day parade ? Now he hops in with the Easter Bunny !
I, along with everyone else, find all this rush to be an annoyance. I do think it is wrecking the fun for the adults and the children. It is difficult to maintain a high level of anticipation for months at a time. Takes the shine off. It is all just running together. Halloween,Thanksgiving and Christmas. Bam Bam Bam. I liked it better when they were separate events to be enjoyed. As with everything else it all boils down to the dollar. Make as much money off of this season as possible.
I did hear of one store that refuses to decorate for Christmas until after Thanksgiving. BRAVO to them. I like it. Maybe that will catch on and a return to old ways will follow. History does repeat itself. I hope so. I'm already burned out on Christmas and I haven't even thawed out the bird. 

No comments:

Post a Comment