Friday, November 18, 2011

Cause and Effect

Cause and effect. What caused it and what was the effect. Two questions and the answers aren't simple. In the matter of the cause, I guess you could say it was my daughter in law. She made plans to go with some friends to see a " Breaking Dawn " marathon. Whatever that is. I'm not up to speed on that. I'm thinking it has something to do with vampires, but maybe I missed the mark on that guess. Anyway, her decision to attend that event caused her children to spend the night at Grandmas and Grandpas. Not a normal thing on a school night. Their Dad had other obligations to fulfill and wasn't able to be home for them. Let me tell you,these kids have busy lives ! I mean my son and daughter and in law.
So the effect was a change in routine for Grandpa. Not an easy thing. As I " mature " I find changes to be a little more difficult to absorb quickly. First their is the matter of homework. I like to see them working on their homework soon after arrival. They have other plans and inevitably a conflict of interest arises. They are interested in Disney shows, and I'm interested in homework. I win the argument but now I wonder if they are putting their best efforts into their assignments. Their is a bit of tension in the air. Nevertheless the assignments are completed. Supper is an easy thing though. Order in Pizza ! Just plain cheese and everyone is happy.
The rest of the evening goes pretty smooth. Each one occupied with their own thing. Mark on the computer for awhile and Morgan knitting on her loom with Grandma. The evening is punctuated occasionally with arguments over the channel to watch but those disputes are quickly settled.
As for me, my evening is one of Disney. Jessie, she used to be on that cruise ship with the twins,has her own show now. Shake it up Chicago,about a pair of dancing teens on a television show. And I don't remember the others but I know we watched several episodes of the aforementioned shows. Although technically only one episode because we watched the same episode several times. Guess when you wander about,dance,tell stories and work on the computer during the show, you then need to watch it over several times to know what happened ! Grandpa isn't annoyed, " Just Sayin' "
I love having the kids over. Always have and always will. I am always amazed at how much stuff they can find and drag out. All my stuff gets moved around too. Papers shuffled and things strewn about. Like mini tornadoes. I thought it would get better when they got older but I was wrong. Now they can move bigger stuff !
We made it through the night alright. Now the morning has come. As I sit at my computer trying to type out this dissertation Guess what is on TV. DISNEY ! I'm beginning to form a negative opinion of Disney. Only about an hour to go and I'm off to work. I'm going to enjoy the peace and quiet of the grocery store. Relax and unwind a bit. Gonna be a wonderful day. I'm already looking forward to our next sleepover !

No comments:

Post a Comment