Saturday, November 12, 2011

Listening to Home

Recently I was very pleased to be visited by an old high school classmate. We hadn't seen each other in forty years. My class did have a reunion just a bit ago but I was unable to attend. I was disappointed but then my spirits were lifted when I was surprised by this visit. The Lord does work in mysterious ways.
My old friend and classmate, along with his lovely wife,and I spent a few hours catching up. It is true that with old friends you just pick up where you left off. Just as though it were only a few weeks ago, instead of all those years.
We spoke of the old times and how things have changed. We talked of friends and relatives we have in common. The more we talked, the more I appreciated his visit.
The part of the country I come from is known for speaking a certain dialect. Certain phrases and inflections in the manner of speech. I have been told many times that I speak in this fashion. I never noticed. I do recall the older people back home speaking that way. A rather rapid form of speaking often punctuated with the word Bub for emphasis. As in, how's the weather,Bub ? Well, I don't know if I speak that way anymore,or if I ever did,but my classmate sure does. And his wife. I can't tell you what a comfort it was to hear that sound again. It was as good as being there. I can tell you this,it did make me a little homesick.
We all know how a song can transport you back in time. The sound of a particular speech pattern can do the same ! I had never thought about that, but it was stark and clear to me. As we spoke, and told the tales of our youth I was transported there by the sound of his voice. It is an amazing thing. It is a distinctive pattern of speech. I had heard there was an effort to record the " native speakers " of this dialect because there was fear it was being lost. If my friend and his wife are any indication all I can say is, not hardly,Bub ! It is alive and well. Somebody is jumping the gun on that one.
I enjoy Facebook and getting in contact with everyone. I enjoy the written word. Sharing pictures and memories. Nothing can compare to actually talking to the person face to face. A telephone conversation is not the same. A Skype call is not the same. All our modern technology will never replace sitting in the same room,enjoying conversation.
I learned a few things from this visit. We share a common bond and heritage and that can never be broken or replaced. It is the people,not the place,that make home. Hearing a little bit of home is as good as being there. The roots of friendship are deep.
Thank You Curt and Ren'e for stopping by !

1 comment:

  1. Bonac, or at least a watered-down form of it, is indeed still alive and well here! Some things are rarely heard anymore, even among natives (such a MonTAUK) but the eldest still use them! They say it's a combination of the Maine accent and some old English but I just know it as "Bonac". My family has been ""upstreeters" from the beginning, so it was never completely part of our speech pattern, but some things are there. Like the ""yes, yes", which is still indemic among locals!

    ReplyDelete