Monday, November 21, 2011

Hunting

The hunting season has begun. I see the camouflaged people everywhere. They believe they can't be seen, but I see them alright. Some have taken to camouflaging their trucks too. I hear them coming though. I work with some of these hunters. Mostly hunting deer and geese. I listen as they tell of great shots and proudly show  pictures of the ones they killed. Usually kneeling down and holding the head up,big smiles on their faces. I am man ! I have killed this animal and will feed my family. Make some deer jerky to get us through the harsh winter.
Such displays of prowess ! I'm impressed.
As you have probably guessed I'm not a hunter. Tried it a time or two and have no interest in doing that again. I'm not against it on any moral basis. As long as you eat whatever you're shooting and it is legal,go for it. I am just amused by it all. I'll never understand why the guys just don't come right out and say, I like shooting things ! Instead I hear about how great the venison tastes. Yeah,right.
I wondered about how much all of this must cost. So I went window shopping at Cabellas. I started with a stocking cap,camo of course 29.99. Figured I needed glasses another 29.99. Camo shirt 114.99,pants 79.99,gloves 34.99 socks 29.99,boots 149.99 a tree stand for 299.99 and I need a gun 1000.00 dollars.
Add it all up and it comes to 1775.91. Sales tax is six percent in Maryland for an additional 106.55 for a grand total of  $1881.00. Oh yeah,plus shipping and handling. I think that would get me the basic kit. Still need a place to hunt and would have to look at rental property for that. Probably need a four wheeler to get in and out of the woods with. Shouldn't be more than four grand or so for a good used one. Need a trailer to carry it on and a truck to pull it. Let's just say $10,000 should cover the whole deal. Crap,forgot to buy ammo ! About ten bucks a box I think. I need a hunting license too,not sure of the cost.
I'm ready now. I can load up the gear on my four wheeler and head for the woods.Climb up the tree and just wait for that venison to come by. Almost forgot to pour that deer scent on myself,at fifteen bucks a bottle,it ought to work. I'm a very lucky guy so one comes into range after just a few hours. Bam,shot that sucker ! Now to drag that carcass out of there. I muscle him onto the front of the four wheeler. Get back to the truck,take the obligatory snapshot and haul it to the deer checking station. After that I can butcher him. I'm betting this buck will dress out at 125 lbs or so. Success.
Their is an alternative way to getting that, oh so delicious venison. Buy it online. With a few key strokes I can have venison steaks delivered to my door. It ain't cheap at $22.00 a pound but with all  that I have invested in guns,gear and transportation I could order 454 lbs of the stuff. I'm just sayin".
I know the guys are doing it for the sport of it. To get that macho feeling. We are all certainly entitled to spend our money anyway we see fit. I'm quite certain there are those that wouldn't understand my subscription to Ancestry.com and think that foolish. The hunters do a service by keeping the population down. So, hunt on you intrepid pioneers ! Tis the season of the macho men !

No comments:

Post a Comment