Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Excuse Me

Back on Oct 26 I wrote about Senator Currie. His defense was basiclly that he was disorganized and stupid. Guess what ? It worked ! Innocent of all charges. I have to retract my laughter and put incredulous disbelief in its' place. The jury has agreed that he was stupid and disorganized so therefore should face no punishment. IE: The coffee was too hot.
I don't know Senator Currie and have no real interest in his career. Just another politician as far as I am concerned. The infraction he was charged with was bribery. In using his office for personal gain. I'm convinced that most do,in subtle ways, and it was just that he got caught not dotting his " I'S " or crossing his "T".
He was almost caught. Luckily for him he had the money to hire a defense team to get him off the hook.
And what an ingenious defense. His wife even tried to take the blame,saying it was she who failed to file the paperwork. A parade of witnesses all saying what an honest and forthright man he is. Most saying he is indeed an honest man but a little scatterbrained.And to my amazement, it worked !
A new precedent has been set. The, I'm scatterbrained, defense. The "oops " defense or whatever you want to call it. No matter what law I violate I can just say " opps" forgot ! Sorry about that. Innocent !
There are those who wonder why our country is getting into trouble. Real trouble with crime and corruption. When we choose to not enforce the laws and encourage our citizens to employ every possible excuse to avoid responsibly what do think the result will be ? Crime and corruption. I'm not advocating that every punishment be the maximum amount allowed, but acknowledgement that a crime has taken place is certainly appropriate. The verdict should not have been Innocent. By his own admission he failed to file the required(by law) paperwork. And not a one time slip up or a late filing but a pattern of this behavior. Some punishment should follow. Even a fine would have been something.
Will this hurt his political career ? Possibly, but I doubt it. Did Marion Barry snorting coke in a hotel room cost him his political career ? Nope. The voters are fickle people. Ah well,politics in America. Got to love it and I do. You take the good with the bad.
In my previous post about this subject I mentioned I hoped he won. I was joking ,of course. So the old be careful what you ask for adage applies. But it did set the stage for the " I called it " defense. You all know that one. Seinfeld even did an episode about it. It's when one kid wins the argument with the 'I called lt " rule.
The United States of America,land of the free and home of the brave. Soon we will have to add to that. All excuses accepted ! Excusibilty replaces responsibility in all cases ! The wealthier you are, or the size of your legal team is proportionate to your excusibilty.  I'm just sayin'.


No comments:

Post a Comment