Monday, March 7, 2011

Remembering Elementary

I was reading a blog written by a friend and she mentioned having a vcr. I too still have one but rarely use it.
This did get me to thinking about how things have changed. I had occasion to be at the Elementary school for a classroom visit. As the teacher passed out a handout it brought to mind when we got handouts. They were blue ink and usually a little smeared. Straining my brain cells I remembered they were made on the mimeograph machine. It was a mysterious device, that machine, and if you were lucky you would be chosen to turn the handle. These memories are vague so I must not have been chosen often. About all I remember is turning that big handle and the "copy" coming out. The ink wouldn't be dry and would smear. I can still smell that smell too. The church I attended had one too.
After handing out this paper she turned on the overhead projector. This projector,if that is the correct term,didn't have a bright light or even a glass top. What kind of magic is that ? You can just place whatever it is under the lens and there it is projected on the chalk board. Opps not a chalk board,a dry erase board.
No need for a transparency ! Amazing thing that projector. When she put her hand in there you could see that too. I can only imagine the fun I would have had with that in the third grade.

The Mimeograph Machine

As I mentioned there is no chalk board only a dry erase board. A smooth white surface. All the markers lined up in the tray. Guess the kids will never know the pleasure of beating the erasers ! Loved doing that !
Dust just flying everywhere and sometimes you would pound them on the side of the building,although you were told not to. No more do you hear that sound chalk makes on the blackboard. Thank God no more fingernails on the chalk board either. That sound is torture to my ears ! It would get your attention that's for sure.
Throughout the school day the children kept moving from center to center. Reading center,math, etc. Some left the room to go to the computer lab. The elementary school has a media center ( library to us old folks).
I don't remember our elementary school having one. All in all it is a busy day for the children. Things change,different methods and new technologies but other things stay the same. Same desks and chairs we had. Some messy and some neat. Some kids always raising their hand to participate and others rarely.
I remember the lunch line. That hasn't changed much. I do remember we used to get Welsh Rabbit, a lot.
Don't really remember exactly what it was but I liked it. Didn't see it on the menu though. Now they have pizza as a choice. These kids have got it made.

1 comment: