Wednesday, March 9, 2011

It's a funny thing

Memory is a funny thing. We have all heard the expression,choose to remember. The fact of the matter is for the long term we don't get to choose. Oh,I can study for a test and remember that information for a while but in the long run will I remember it ? Maybe,maybe not. It has also been said Men and Children have selected memory. Did you take out the trash ? Forgot. Some things you never forget and others just fade away.
Two people in the same place at the same time can remember totally opposite things. Ask a good friend or a brother or sister about something in the distant past. You may be surprised. I am all the time with what my sister tells me. I'm sure she can't believe my stories either.
We all know men and women ,as a general rule ,remember things differently. A woman can usually tell you what clothes she was wearing on your first date but the guy doesn't have a clue most of the time. That is unless you showed up in a cheerleaders uniform or something ! You know what I mean. Dates,women as a rule seem to remember dates better than most men. Birthdays,anniversaries things like that. Now men can remember where the best fishing spot is or when the game comes on television.
Science understands little about our ability to remember things. There are many tricks and devices we can use to improve our memory. Tried one once but forgot the method. Isn't there some vitamin they advertise now that is supposed to help with memory ? Think it is targeted at us older folks. I don't remember. I can remember an advertisement for a gun that shoots around the corner. Wanted that gun real bad back in 1963.
Got it too. And a string ray bicycle with high rise handlebars and a banana seat in 1968.
Yes,I'd say memory is a funny thing. Why some people have a great memory and others not so great is a mystery. Assuming you are not born with a brain defect we all are pretty much equal. Science saved Einsteins' brain in a jar for study. Don't think they figured anything out though. Not sure if it is still in the jar either.
Not always do memories fade with time. Some people retain their memory throughout their entire life. Granted I think they are in the minority but it leaves hope for us all. I'm hoping to not forget too much.
I do think you need to exercise your memory along with your body. Writing these blogs is a form of exercise for me. It has dredged up some memories I hadn't thought about in a while. Some things you would rather forget. At least there are some things you would rather others didn't remember. It is a good thing to share memories with those around you. Now thanks to the Internet I can share with the world. Only thing is, you have to get someone to listen. That is another subject for another time. If I remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment