Saturday, March 12, 2011

Of Hubcaps and Horn Rings

Occasionally the title comes to me before the actual story. This is one of those times.Little things of the past that pop into ones mind for no apparent reason. I was wondering what year the last horn ring was used on an American made car. I didn't do an extensive study on this question but my research shows 1969. Sounds about right. Hubcaps are another matter. They are still being used today but in a much more limited capacity.
Back in the day they were all shapes and sizes. Normally the make of the car was emblazoned on them. Now they have pretty much gone the way of collectors items. The covers that are made today are usually an aftermarket part. You still see them laying on the side of the road where they flew off. That was thier big drawback,they didn't stay on too well. Cost became a factor as technology allowed the wheels to made from different materials that created a good looking wheel without the need for a cover. Air bags killed the horn ring.
Remember bumber jacks ? That was when cars actually had bumbers of course. Then they came out with those little scissor jacks. They'll work but that's about all I can say for them. The place where the cigarette lighter ( cigar lighter to be technically correct) went is now called a power port. Usually with a black plastic cover. Used to be several in some of the finer autos. Located next to those little ash trays with the spring loaded covers. A convenient place to put your used gum as I recall.
I don't pump gas down at the filling station anymore. Did that as a teenager to make a few dollars. That was when things were full service. Do they still hide the fill cap behind the license plate or behind a hinged tail light ? That's something I'll have to start looking for. Sometimes I'd have to ask the car owner where it was.
I suppose it is what you grew up with and what you become accustomed to but I sure liked those older cars.
Statistics show they were nowhere near as safe as today's cars but I always had that sense of security surrounded by all that American steel. Those cars just felt solid.
Hubcaps and horn rings. Things the grand kids will know little if nothing about. Sometimes I miss the littlest things. Things you don't know you liked until they are gone. Now just where did I put that shoe horn?

No comments:

Post a Comment