Thursday, March 24, 2011

Decisions

I was reading some posts on facebook when one in particular caught my attention. You know how it is ? Some posts just ring so true and you share that experience instantly. This post,by a friend of mine, was talking about going out to dinner. The discussion was deciding where to  go. The conversation always seems to be the same. Where do you want to go ? I don't know,where do you want to go ? I don't care. Do you want fast food or a sit down meal. I don't care. What do you want ? It doesn't matter I can eat anywhere.
And so the conversation continues. Neither person wanting to make a commitment. Set me to thinking about why this should be so.
I have been married to the same wonderful woman for going on 27 years now and we still have that conversation. On the surface it would seem like you are just being polite. Deferring to the other person. A sign of respect and love. So how come these same conversation often end up with, fine I don't care if we go out to eat at all ! Why can't we just say what we want ? Because, if the other person gives in to what you want you may have to defer the next decision to them. And the next decision could involve something far more important,like, what we are going to watch on television at a particular time. It is this attempt at keeping equal footing that is the root cause of indecision.
Now,my friend in her post, suggested we open a chain of restaurants and name them accordingly. I Don't Care. It Doesn't Matter. Whatever. In that way you would know where to go. Not a bad idea.
There just may be money to be made here. Perhaps a web site where you enter various choices and the computer selects. You have no way to influence the outcome so you don't have to assume the responsibility for the decision. No,that wouldn't work. I want the chance to at least subtly influence the decision in my favor.
Even though I don't want to make an open decision I do have a secret preference. Like a good card game I don't want to reveal everything at once. And so the discussion continues on.
Honey,do you want to go out and do something ?  I don't know,do you ? This could be a while. The only thing worse is an immediate response. Then you have to wonder, what does she want ? The long term implications give one pause.

Thanks to Cindy !

No comments:

Post a Comment