Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Doggie Diner

Just a quick thought this morning. Last evening as I was watching the news they did a piece on dining out. They started out by saying how much Americans love to dine out. Then the hook ,which did get my attention,and how some restaurants are allowing patrons to bring their dogs with them. We are talking about the city of Baltimore. It is illegal to have a dog in a restaurant but with outdoor seating some are allowing it anyway.
The piece went on to explain this is being done for economic reasons. It is increasing their buisness. They need to do this to to survive these tough economic times. Also mentioned was how some people feel their dog is a part of the family and shouldn't be excluded.
Let me start by saying I'm not anti animal or anything. I have had dogs in the past. I'm all for the fair and just treatment of animals. I understand how they become a part of the family. I'll make my statement right here, no dogs in the restaurant,please ! Maybe you don't mind but I do. I never let my animals sit at my dinner table at home and don't want one at the table while dining out. Sitting at a table on the sidewalk having a cool drink and a sandwich is one thing, but inside eating dinner is another.
I may have touched on this subject before in my ramblings but there comes a point when it gets to be a bit too much for me. I know you love your dog but don't bring it to the parade when all it does is bark at everyone and create a nuisence. Don't bring your dog to a crowdwed beach to play frisbee ! Clean up after your animal,please ! Most importantly, remember that it is an animal ! It can not talk to you and it will not kiss you. Might slobber on your face on command but it is still an animal. Care for it and enjoy the companionship but please don't try to dress it like a person.
I get annoyed when people have no consideration for those around them. Some people are frightened of dogs so why bring them into a crowd. I'm not frightened by most dogs but I don't necessarily want them jumping on me or brushing against me. And let's face it folks sometimes they act like ANIMALS.
At any rate I don't dine out often and I can't see this becoming a big problem. It was an effective piece of journalism as it caught my attention. I think it is silly to want to take your dog to dinner ! I'm just sayin'.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you! I have a friend who takes her animal EVERYWHERE or she won't go. I don't share her opinion on that. I know of someone else who lost the family pet, and because she wasn't showered with as much sympathy as she felt she deserved, she cut a family member out of her life for 'insensitivity'. I'm afraid I think that's a bit obsessive...and weird. I like dogs, as long as they are somewhere they should be, with responsible owners...but like you said,they ARE animals.

    ReplyDelete