Thursday, March 17, 2011

Don Juan

It was the start of a new year at school. I was beginning the ninth grade and had just entered the room for English class. The teacher wasn't in the room yet so we were all just milling around and talking. Catching up with friends from last year that we hadn't seen over the summer and making new ones. Having developed an active interest in the opposite sex I gravitated toward a pretty young thing and introduced myself.
She said hello,smiled and we began a conversation. I don't remember what we talked about but she didn't tell me to shut and go away so I figure I was doing great. Soon the teacher arrived and my moment in the sun was over ; for now.
The following day before class we spoke again. Again she didn't seem totally repulsed by me and my confidence was rising. This continued for about a week. Back then it took a while to work up nerve and I was conscious of not looking like a fool. If you remember when you were that age being turned down could be devastating and humiliating if your friends knew. They always knew because you told them ! Quite a quandary.
Eventually my self confidence had been sufficiently bolstered to approach the big question. The very next time I spoke with her I asked her to the movies. Her face just went blank. She looked at me very strangely and said, you do know who I am don't you ? Like a deer in the headlights I froze for a second. Then somehow I managed to stammer out, yeah you're Clara. (name changed to protect the innocent) With a look of disgust this pretty young girl says to me, " I'm also your first cousin." " My father is your mothers brother."
Oh no. I didn't know. I have lots of cousins. I've never met your father. I think my mother has mentioned him but I didn't know. I thought or I didn't think. I was stunned,humiliated and embarrassed.
And that my friends was one of the most difficult moments in my life. Thankfully my cousin never spoke of this incident. I just made up some lame excuses to tell my friends. The incident was never spoken of again.
My self confidence was shot and I was going to have to rethink this whole dating thing. At least the part about asking them out. Obviously a more through background check would be helpful. I thought my charm and wit was winning the day but as it turned out,well.
I tried to avoid Clara the rest of that school year. I think she stayed clear of me as well. Can't say as I blame her on that one. Years later I had occasion to speak with her and we both had a good laugh. She told me she had known me from the beginning because her mom had pictures and such. I told her I had heard her name before but just didn't connect the dots. After all her last name is a very,very common name in town. That was many years ago but I'll not forget the lesson learned that day. Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment