Thursday, August 5, 2021

the truth

  Look I just gotta say I'm not comfortable with all this male sensitivity stuff. That's the long and short of it, the bare truth. I scroll down the postings and comments pages and read all that. The  heart emoji's and the I love yous' scattered about. It just doesn't seem right to me. I realize that all has to do with what Merle Haggard would say was the root of my raising. I wasn't raised in what some describe as an affectionate household. No, we didn't hug and hold each other offering comfort and solace every time something went wrong. I wasn't coddled, hugged and kissed at every turn. I was loved though, of that there is no doubt. Those that loved me cared enough to be honest with me. And that, I believe is the root of my raising. I was told the truth of my parents. That is what I was taught, and that is what I struggle with to this very day. It's something we all struggle with in my opinion, the modification of truth. You hear it all the time, my truth. I'm telling you my truth. The basis of truth, the source, is different for each of us. Common belief is generally thought of as religion or ideology. Both of those attempt to provide us with a guideline for living our lives. All of us attempt to modify those guidelines based on our personal wants, needs and desires. Modifications others make can cause discomfort. 
  I was raised to think that men were, well men. Yes I hear that's old fashioned thinking and wrong. No, I don't think it is. There are extremes with everything. I'm not talking about extremes. I'm talking about natural and normal human behaviors. Just because you choose to act a certain way doesn't make it normal. That being said it also doesn't mean I hate or fear you for acting that way. There are the Alpha males and the Beta males, leaders and followers. That's natural and normal. Which is better? The Alpha male, right? Yes, all men would like to enjoy that dominance. Fact is, not all men can and that is a simple truth. That's the lesson I was taught. Act like a man! Yeah, and today the message is what? Be submissive and sensitive? Well it is a less threatening position to take isn't it. A more comfortable position perhaps? Or is it a simple modification of truth? I view that as a surrender. I was taught to never quit, don't give up, find a way. In short, there's more than one way to skin a cat. You have to be confident in yourself before you can trust others.
  Now the push is on for gender neutrality. The thinking being everyone will compete on an equal playing field. Historically males have dominated the world and ruled societies. That was accomplished, usually by brute force. The male of the species is generally the dominant gender. Yes, yes, I know there are exceptions, I'm not talking about exceptions, after all they are exceptions for one reason only, they are different. If we could remove that, we are equal right? Isn't that the thinking? If you can't beat me up I stand an equal chance. Yes, man, that is to say humanity, almost always settles their differences by violence! We call it war. Whether it is one on one, or nation against nation, the action is the same, dominance by brute force. 
  A simple truth. That's how I feel about that. Government and the rule of law is what should control society. That is what the Constitution of the United States is all about. All men are created equal. Remember it was written in a time when that statement didn't require an explanation of what was meant. Man was humanity, all hu(man)ity, both genders. It's a radical idea, a concept never before attempted in the world! Still in the experimental phase, it is only two hundred and forty five years old. Much has changed over that time. The abolishment of slavery and women's suffrage among them. All of those changes caused discomfort for some and relief for others. The discomfort stemming from a modification of truth, relief coming from acceptance. The confusion today is in thinking that being equal means being the same. That simply isn't the truth. Inequity exists, will always exist, and there is no changing that. Certainly you can artificially modify circumstance but you can't change the truth. Wrong will always be wrong! You can't make it right by legislation. And that is where humanity has to decide upon a course. Truth or legislation? 
  The issue is, the acceptance of a universal truth. Is there such a thing? That is decided on an individual basis. It is also taught on an individual basis. Your truth and my truth are equal in strength, or they should be. If you constantly change your truth it can't be the truth, can it? Not in my way of thinking it can't be. Are you willing to die for your truth? That's the true measure of belief isn't it? Isn't that what we have all been taught? It's certainly what we are told to admire. Well as long as that truth agrees with ours it is. That is at the heart of war, that's why people fight. You will believe what I want you to believe even if I have to beat it into you! Doesn't matter if it is another person or another nation either. Another truth is, government can do that as well. Think about that for a while. 

Here is a quote from George Washington concerning that:

    “May the same wonder-working Deity, who long since delivering the Hebrews from their Egyptian Oppressors planted them in the promised land—whose Providential Agency has lately been conspicuous in establishing these United States as an independent Nation—still continue to water them with the dews of Heaven and to make the inhabitants of every denomination participate in the temporal and spiritual blessings of that people whose God is Jehovah.”
  

No comments:

Post a Comment